What I'm Reading - Week Three of Emotional Processes by John Pellitteri

It's that time again - time to update you on what I've been reading. I actually sat down yesterday and did some reading in my book - finished chapter two and looked forward into chapter three of Emotional Processes in Music Therapy by John Pellitteri.

I must say that I am enjoying this book. It is providing me with a framework that is valid (in my opinion) regardless of which theoretician you subscribe to in your way of doing music therapy. I like that. I feel that it gets me one step closer to my goal of a Grand Unifying Theory of Music Therapy - the one thing that links us all together rather than pulling us apart. That's what I want for the music therapy community - things that pull us together instead of pulling us apart. My quest for understanding is moving along quite nicely.

Anyway, back to the book that I am currently reading. I took notes this time around, so here are some of the things that I gleaned from my research yesterday afternoon...

  • p. 26 - A Model of Emotional Processes - Lewis (2000) proposed "a topology of emotions" including a) elicitors; b)states; c) expressions; and d) experiences in a temporal sequence
  • p. 27 - emotional states are inferred - observers can only see some elicitors and the expression
  • often expression and experience of the emotion are simultaneous
  • the actual experience can only be reported by the person who feels the emotion - no one else can infer or extrapolate what is happening for the person - only the person...
  • This model enfolds all the perspectives that we are discussing in the book - psychological, cognitive, behavioral, and social. They are mutually interactive at all steps.
  • p. 28 - "Clinical interventions are targeted at either modifying one of the psychophysiological components or one aspect of the emotional sequence process." - What this means to me - we often focus on one part of the model to provide treatment. Modification of elicitors, states, expressions, and/or experiences is focus of music therapy and all other therapies.
  • Representing and Measuring Emotions
  • Sloboda and Juslin (2001) - categorical approach to conceptualizing emotions and "the particular representation will influence how the music therapist uses emotions in clinical work." 
  • Two ways of representation in order to measure emotions - categorical (emotions are experienced in categories and are distinct from one another with a limited number of "innate and universal emotion categories" and dimensional
  • p. 29-30 - dimensional model - activation and valence are key terms.
  • Valance - "the degree of pleasant to unpleasant"
  • activation - "intensity"
  • presented as degrees rather than succinct inflexible emotions - continuum and X/Y scale
  • This model does not distinguish between related emotions - depression and sad may be in the same quadrant even thought there are different meanings, etiologies, and action potentials for those emotional states - Clinical note - is this the reasoning behind the Zones of Regulation?
  • p. 31 - many representations of emotion cycles - Hevner seems to be best for my brain to comprehend and utilize.
  • Hevner's mood wheel - includes more descriptive qualities of mood rather than just naming emotions - manifestations as well as mood words.
  • This inclusion of qualities can lead to aesthetic interpretation which is where MTs live - aesthetically interpreting emotion and states.
  • measuring emotion happens through three main venues - self-report, expressive behavior, and physiological measures.
  • states can only be inferred by an observer in first two venues. The third path, physiological measures, is often intrusive and interrupts the music therapy process - unnatural for activities of daily living.
That's the end of the chapter for this week. Next week is the last chapter of the first part of the book, so I am going to be looking at the anthropological bases for emotion theory this next week before diving into more of the music therapy related chapters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA