FInding Your Song - Using a Silly Facebook Thingie...

So, I was scrolling around Facebook this morning and found that a friend of mine had commented on a radio station's post about the song that was top of the charts on your 7th birthday. The post stated that the song would define your 2021. So, rather than posting that information on Facebook, I decided to look it up and see what song would pop up.

"Sir Duke." That was the song that was #1 on the charts when I turned seven. It is by Stevie Wonder, and the title was not familiar to me, so I went to Google to search lyrics.

The song starts, "Music is a world within itself with a language we all understand."

I went to YouTube and immediately recognized the song as something that I have heard before but not really got into deeply before. I've never really listened to all the words before, but now I have them in front of me.

I don't think this particular song defines my 2021, but it DEFINITELY defines my life. If you haven't heard this song, I would recommend that you stop and listen as soon as possible, especially if you are a music therapist! "With an equal opportunity for all to sing, dancing and clap their hands."

What song defines your life? This one definitely defines my choice of profession, study, passion, and one of the biggest things that is part of my life. It definitely is a big part of my identify, but it is not all that makes up "me."

I am going to make a life identity playlist, I think.

I already have two songs to put on the list, and I will be searching for more.

  • Sir Duke - by Stevie Wonder
  • What Do You Hear In These Sounds - Dar Williams

What songs would you include on a life identity playlist of your own? My thought is to find songs that illustrate different parts of my life so far and then learn those songs. I will start with Sir Duke. It is a song that I can learn the melody really easily, but I will NEVER approximate the complexity of the music that is part of the original - that's okay. My brain will fill all that in when I am playing the music.

I am going to spend a bit of time exploring my CD collection and Google for thematic units...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA