Houses

Looking for houses is an interesting exercise.

I have been starting to find interesting traits in how I think about life events, and looking for houses has been a revealing process in this self-exploration. 

I have always been somewhat unconcerned about how things look. When I go car shopping, I am a salesperson's dream - I want a certain payment and will not haggle because I hate that process. I know that I do not want a red or black car and that I do want a stick shift, so if something can be found that fits those criteria then I am good to go.

I can't do quite the same thing as a home buyer, I find.

My realtor and everyone else I talk to about all this tells me that I will know when I get home. I think I got close yesterday when I went to see a strangely shaped house that hit almost all of my "don't want to deal with" points. I don't think I am completely there yet, but I am getting closer.

Here's what I know I want - high ceilings, rectangular bathrooms, closets, attached garage, smallish yard...

Here's what I would like - basement (but these are hard to come by here in Tornado Alley - wonder why)...

Here's what I do NOT want - septic system, well system, lots of yard to mow, covered parking, sharing more than one wall with a neighbor, having to renovate much - basic cosmetic stuff is fine...

Exploring houses has led me to actually having things on my "know I want" list. Before all this happened, I didn't have anything on that list except for the last two. The house that impressed me the most yesterday hit most of those "know I want" things and is only on the maybe list because I didn't get "the feeling of being home" that everyone keeps talking about. I couldn't really see a kitty in that home...and I do want to eventually get another kitty. I loved Bella so much that I need to have at least one more in my life (though, I am thinking about getting two this time...on my way to being Old Lady Landaker with the 40 cats...). I have two more places to see this afternoon, so my lists may grow.

I am hoping that this will be my residence until I retire (and perhaps after that time for a bit). We will see.

My fingers are protesting all the typing, and I still have an OCMT meeting and a Sunday School video to make, so I will write more tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. You and I shop similarly. We know what we want and the rest doesn't matter. You may not get "the FEELING". You don't shop emotionally. So trust your logical decision making.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA