My Christmas Tree

I do not often take the time to decorate for the holidays because I do not usually spend time here for the December/January holiday. This year, due to COVID-19, I will be here in my place for both holidays, so I took a bit of time to set up my little Christmas tree in my home. At the moment, it is looking a bit forlorn as it is sitting on top of the cat climber (high enough that Miss Bella-Boo cannot reach it to eat it) with lights on it but no ornaments (or baubles as some in the world call them). The ornaments are waiting for me to find an extension cord, check the lights, and then reposition the lights for full coverage. Once that happens, I will finish the tree. I also have to find my tree skirt to cover up the base. I wonder where I stashed it the last time I decorated - which may have been 2015 - the last time I was at home for Christmas.

I enjoy seeing my ornament collection once I have them out and on the tree. There are large ornaments that don't fit on my little tree, but I display them on the tree skirt below the rest. I have the ice cream cone with my name on it that I was given in Kindergarten. I have the ornaments that I was given by other people, and I have several that I have made for myself. My mother's creative work over the years is also prominent on my tree. I have pasta sheep, walnut dioramas, and some mini tree ornaments that are her work. It is an interesting combination of beauty and memory, and I enjoy it, but I don't often bother getting things out or making this a decorated environment.

 
looks better without flash
My tree is up, though, and I am searching for my extension cord so I can get the lights to reach the plug without trailing a string of lights off the tree and down to the socket. (I'm kinda picky about those types of visuals.) Ooh. Just found the extension cord...I'll be right back! Ooh, bonus! Even found the dual timer so I can have it turn on in the morning and the evenings!!

Things are starting to come together. My holiday celebrations this year will be different - in more ways than just not getting to go home for a week. We will be prerecording the Christmas Eve service this year. In fact, I have a recording session later this morning. We will not be gathering to sing holiday songs in the gym this year at work. Everything is shifting a bit because of the pandemic, but I am finding that to be fine for me. I am secure in the traditions that I can continue. I may not be sitting in my parents' living room, opening presents, but I will be sitting at my home, Zooming into their home for that process. We will be able to see each other and to share our tradition of watching each person open a gift one by one. I will make the cookies that are part of our tradition so I can share in our traditional cookie and treat breakfast. I will get to see my siblings and share thoughts and ideas and snarky comments as we always do. We will still share the things that matter to us all.

I will see this tree and be reminded that in all things, there is love. In trying really hard to sing through the now required two masks and face shield at work, there is love of clients. In going to work every day, even though my clients now have the virus, there is love. In the glow of Christmas lights on my frumpy little tree (it is time for a new one), there is love. In isolating myself from others as much as possible while my students recover from their illnesses, there is love.

For me, this year, this tree is a reminder of that love. I will spend time looking at it and enjoying its glow in the darkest parts of the year, and I will feel that love.

Stay safe, do what you have to do, and do those things with love, friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment