Thoughtful Thursday: Do You Sink or Do You Swim?

This has been the type of month where I have been, like everyone has, having to change plans for other plans that have to be changed to yet other plans at the last moment. It just seems to be the way the world works now.

I have lots of music therapy friends right now who are facing some difficult decisions about this profession and how they fit within it. There are some who are not able to keep their businesses open and others who have been let go from their jobs because they were not considered "essential" to their facilities. The same thing is happening in all professions. I have a friend whose husband has to take a 35% pay cut to accommodate the difficulties happening in our world right now. It seems to be an epic wave of uck crashing down on us all, followed by the second and third waves which are just as devastating.

I am amazed by the resilience and determination that I see in my music therapy friends and acquaintances right now. Some are pivoting with every new wave, trying to figure out new revenue streams and offering services never considered before. Others are finding new opportunities to help with their livelihoods. Some are leaving the profession to ensure their financial health and well-being. None of these decisions are easy, and I am amazed at the strength shown by my fellow MTs, but I am not surprised.

I think it takes a specific set of qualities and characteristics to be a successful music therapist, but it takes different qualities and characteristics to be a successful music therapy business owner. I am not a good business owner - let me just say that from the outset - and I envy those who are able to build a business from the beginning and keep that business going through all things, especially those who are working to juggle children's concerns, business concerns, and the types of concerns that just happen because we are humans living in the world - things that have nothing at all to do with viruses and pandemics.

For me, the difference between falling under the waves of uck that have happened this year and rising to the top to struggle again has been my support system. My family has been my foundation always. We are a nuclear family unit, and we spent most of our time knowing about extended family but not really being part of that extended family. My family unit is the strongest part of my support system. Add to that friends from my childhood and adolescence as well as music therapy friends and other friends and co-workers, and I feel that I have that support system pretty well fortified. They keep me floating in this clumsy analogy.

I hope that you have such a support system. I want to know if there is something I can do to support you during this time. I am trying to increase my purchasing from music therapy friends who are offering services or products (but I am limiting my purchases to things that I can use in my music therapy life to help decrease clutter, of course). I am trying to write about my feelings honestly - the good ones and the bad ones - while still striving to find out my way through all of this mess. 

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING LEAVING THE PROFESSION, PLEASE READ ON. IF NOT, YOU CAN PROBABLY SKIP THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH. END OF YELLING!

There is nothing wrong with doing what is best for you. If you are a music therapist who is considering leaving the field because it does not fit the requirements that you have for your own life, then do it! Do not let any sort of guilt keep you from doing what is best for you! You do not owe anyone anything - not your professors (you paid for their time - your obligation to them clears as soon as the last tuition payment is received at the bursar's office), not your internship director (you paid for that experience as well - both in money [by the way, the ID does not get ANY of that money] and in time, not anyone! You deserve to find your happiness, and music therapy is not that for everyone. It may not be your happiness as you get older. The only person that you owe anything to is you.

Friends, I hope that you realize that there is a random (sorta) person on the other end of this blog who roots for you - whatever you do, wherever you are, and whether you are a music therapist or not! I hope that you know that you, as a person, are valuable to us all.

Let's try to swim. Find your life preserver, and accept the outreached hand. We will rise to the top and surf these waves all the way to the shore. (Do you think I've milked this metaphor enough??)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA