Musings - August 2020

This is where I long to be - not necessarily at this particular place - a part of the Allerton Gardens on Kauai - but in a place where I can be in restful solitude near some water, outside, and enjoying some peace. Alas, this is nowhere near where I am at the moment - not in location, not in environment or ambience, or in attitude. Instead, I am in what feels like a constant swirl of newness and shifting landscapes. One moment, I am clear about what I am going to be doing today and the next moment brings all sorts of change to my door.

This is not unique to me and my experience this year. There is some comfort in that thought. You know, the song from High School Musical "We're All In This Together" goes through my mind pretty consistently when I am writing my blog lately. We truly are in this situation all together - the entire world - and it is fascinating to me how people in various places are coping...or not...with what is going on.

I will see the last third of my students today for the first time in two months and for only the third music therapy session in five months. We have set specific protocol and cleaning measure into place to accommodate these students' safety requirements, and I hope we are ready. For the first time in a long time, I will be overseeing group music therapy for all of my classrooms. I have one more week of watching my senior intern, and then I get some therapy time back - one week before intern #31 arrives and about a month of doing full sessions during her observation period before I start transitioning my clients to the new one. I am looking forward to getting back into doing therapy. The most frustrating part of being an internship director is watching others do what I love most about this job - working with the clients!

I canceled my internship webinar presentation last night because one of my clients gave me a wonderfully shiny black eye on Monday. I forgot to tuck my head. I look horrible, but it is amazing the colors that our bodies can generate when healing from a physical trauma.

I am almost finished with a really good book, and I am at a loss for what to read next. I finished the David Lagercrantz trilogy that started with Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now I am almost done with the last one. I'm a bit trepidatious about how this one ends as there are some disturbing hints on the back cover. I hope my instincts are wrong, but I'm not sure that they are. I may end up not really liking this book, but I am hoping for an ending that resonates with me. I love it when books capture my imagination and aren't too easy to figure out.

I started writing this post a bit later than I usually do, so it is time to wrap up this Musing post and get going to work. I hope I am ready for whatever challenges the day brings with it, and I plan on being here tomorrow for a Thoughtful Thursday post.

Be at peace, fellow therapists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment