Tomorrow Starts My Next Decade

Today is my last day in my current decade, and tomorrow starts a new decade of living for me. That's right - tomorrow is my birthday, and it is a big one. I have been practicing the thought of this new decade for months now, so the transition isn't as shocking as it was when I turned over the last decade, but I am still a bit awed by the fact that I have lived as long as I have. It doesn't seem possible and seems all too real at the same time. 

A new decade.

My last decade was marked by severe health-changing events every three years. I'd be happy to give up that pattern for sure! My last decade included a series of changes - some of my doing and some not - in my professional goals and ideas and wishes for myself. My last decade included betrayals by people I thought were my friends but who turned out to just use me, but this decade also included friendships that strengthened into really important relationships for me. I have lost more friends to sickness and death in this decade than in the others I have lived through, and I know that this trend will continue as we all age. Overall, my last decade of life has been what life is - challenging, evolving, and an experience that I am glad to have lived through.

A new decade.

Over the past ten years, I have seen music therapy rocked to the core by Master's Level Entry debates, disagreements, and derailment. I have watched business owners become the norm for music therapy employment rather than the exception. I have been completely immersed in our association and how it works and I have been completely away from all things association-related - by choice. I have been on the forefront of online conferences for the entire decade. I have been one of the few who offered online training to other music therapists, and I have watched as this way of doing things has grown to encompass many other people in the world.

A new decade.

As a music therapist, I have grown over the past ten years. I started the decade fully immersed in student loans and working for an educational goal that I never reached. I solidified my views on music therapy clinical training and competency-based education. I found myself entering a time of reading about music therapy, first for assignments, and then for my own pleasure. I have been blogging about music therapy for a long time now, and it is interesting to go back into the archives to see what types of questions I had back at the beginning of this decade compared to the questions that I have now. Some are radically changed and others are exactly the same.

A new decade.

Like I said above, I have been practicing my new age and this new decade for several months now. I find that this practice helps me when the situation becomes reality rather than a future event. I will wake up tomorrow and look forward to this new decade ahead of me. I wonder what the next ten years will bring to me and to this profession.

See you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt