Synthesis Sunday: Winnicott - The Theory of the Parent-Infant Relationship

After a hiatus, I am getting back into my process of reading things and starting to look at them from my professional perspective. Inspired by several of the folks that I heard during the Online Conference for Music Therapy, I decided to FINALLY read Winnicott's writings about holding and relationships and every single thing I could find on the internet for free. (I don't have lots of extra money to be spending on subscriptions, and I could use my state library card to get access to more, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that, so I'm not going to dedicate time to that process right now...) The first thing that I found was an article that was written in 1960.

Winnicott, D.W. (1960). The Theory of the Parent-Infant Relationship1. Int. J. Psycho-Anal., 41:585-595

It was free, so I have it printed out and am ready to start reading.

Here's what I know about Winnicott before starting to read all of this. Lots of people reference his writing, especially in the international music therapy world.

There you go.

It is time to start getting into these thoughts. If you haven't figured it out yet, I haven't actually started to read any of this yet, so this is more of a "Let's get going" type of post rather than a "Here's what I know" post.

So, now is the time to gather post-it notes, my colored pens, and my research-informed clinician sheet to get started...

If you would like to read along, I found this article (available for free) using Google Scholar. The journal is The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, edition 41. I have a feeling that I will need my dictionary close by for some of these terms because I am not always the most familiar with terminology from the psychoanalytical side of this profession. 

That's all I have for now. More next week, I promise!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA