Thoughtful Thursday: Stopping to Think

Oh. This has been a busy week, and it just seems to get busier and busier. Either that or I am just getting more and more tired for completely unrelated reasons. I have been moving from focus to focus in a rapid manner, barely pausing to breathe. This has to stop...now. I need to focus on thinking again.

This past weekend was a good one for contemplation. I spent lots of time with my journals and with textbooks and writing prompts and challenge questions. I mapped out ideas and all sorts of wonderful plans. The momentum that I started this past weekend seeped into my Monday - where it stalled. That's where it stopped.

I find that I often need a bit of time to stop what I am doing so I can think. I don't have that luxury in music therapy sessions, so my brain is going as fast as my body while interacting with my clients and co-workers. That is exhausting at times - this is one of those times.

So, enter the self-care thoughts. These self-care thoughts are reactive rather than proactive, but that's how self-care has to come sometimes - in response to situations rather than building up our defenses before things happen. I am in a place where I need to stop my frenzied activity for a bit of time to sit, to think, and to rest. 

This has to something that I do with as few distractions as possible. 

Does this happen to you? Do you spend time ignoring self-care because there is just too much to do? STOP IT!

Listen to the voice of experience which is currently teetering on the edge of a self- care situation that did not really need to happen and get going with your own proactive self-care routine!

My current, not proactive self-care routine is to take some time to sit and think. I will do this in a place where I can decrease the amount of distractions at my fingertips. I will do this in a way that offers myself support and mindfulness in a way that decreases the amount of guilt that I will feel - I will allow myself to feel those things and then move through and then away from them. 

Time to get started. See you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA