Conference Updates and Going Old School

Last year's conference haul - what will I get this year??
I am at the American Music Therapy Association national conference right now. I am sitting in my room, eating leftover pizza, and trying to figure out what I am going to do with my day.

I went through the conference schedule on the website quite a bit ago, and I wrote a list of presentations that interested me on (wait for it!) a 4X6 inch INDEX CARD!! I do not use the conference app that we have now, mainly because I don't use my phone that much. I'm sure I'm missing out on something, but I'm content with my old school ways of doing things.

On my [Ahem] index card, I have two choices for this morning - either attending A Quick Reference Guide to Solution-Focused Lyric Analysis in Psychosocial Music Therapy Treatment or Effective Practicum Supervision Using the Integrative Developmental Model. Both interest me, especially from a model/protocol/procedure point of view, but I can only be in one place at a time, so I have to decide where to go and what to do. After I choose my one presentation to attend this morning, I'll be going to the exhibit hall because we have one presentation and then the keynote speech and a business meeting. After that, we have various other things, but there are no more concurrent sessions until 2:15 when I'll be attending Private Practice Workshop: Effective Strategies to Grow Your Practice Without Fear. The next session on my list is Cultural Humility in Supervision, and I plan on finishing my day out with Ditching the Last Presentation of the Day Because I'll Be Absolutely Exhausted! (Don't look for that one in your conference app - the best thing about going old school is that I get to make up my own conference presentation titles for my index card!!)

There are TONS of things to do at conference, and I opt out of most of them. This is usually because I am tired after sitting and listening all day. This evening there are hootenannies (their word, not mine!), dance parties, and concerts, and all. I know myself and my limitations, though, so I'll crawl up to my room, finish up my presentation for Sunday morning, and spend some time in the quiet.

Anyway, I am going to go into the conference world and sit down with my note book and use my pen to write things down. I may spend some time with my laptop but I doubt it. I need to go out to the car to get the rest of my stuff - I have some snacks and several things (like my hairbrush) that I need to get, so I'll be leaving for a bit to get stuff. (I'm also going to find myself that In-N-Out Burger!) For the moment, though, I am going to take my shower, get dressed up in my grown-up, professional clothing, and head out into the world of music therapy professional thought and learning. See you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt