Oh, the Pitfalls and Perils of Professional Dress

There's a long, long post over at Music Therapists Unite about professional dress as pre-internship clinicians. We are all putting our input into the conversation as well. I remember those days as a student - trying to find something that looked remotely neat and professional on my limited budget and with my awkward body shape.

These days, I emphasize the idea (especially with my clients) that bodies need to covered from neck to knee with nothing in between. My workplace went to a uniform, so there is a bit more consistency with my co-workers, but there are still situations where the professionals are not looking all that professional.

This discussion tends to jump up every so often, and it always seems to lead to deep conversations. What is professional dress, anyway?

I've already told you the most important thing, in my estimation. Other than that, I want my professional to be wearing clothing that doesn't distract me from what he or she is saying. I appreciate someone who is neat, well-groomed, and comfortable in their own clothing. For me personally, I have to be comfortable. I want my clothing to be the last thing that I am thinking about.

Yesterday was a day where I had to worry about my clothing. I have some new capri pants, and they aren't quite as high-waisted as I like. Therefore, when I sat down, I could feel them creeping down and down. Fortunately, I wear my shirts long in the back (on purpose), so I know there wasn't any type of underwear flash, but I was overfocused on pulling that shirt down often.

When I was wearing my own clothing for sessions (rather than the uniform that we wear now), I wore lots of long skirts, shirts, and vests (yep, vests!). My rules for myself were developed after recommendations from practicum supervisors and trial and error in my own life. Comfort, first. Easy movement, second. Washable, third. Non-ironing, fourth! (I HATE ironing.)

Why is this even something to think about? Shouldn't our wardrobe reflect our personalities? What's the harm in wearing something that reflects our authentic selves?

For me, the issue is finding the focus of the therapy session.

How to explain? Hmmm. 

When I am focused on wearing something that suits me better than what suits my role as a therapist, then I am thinking about myself. That may not be a bad thing, but I think it takes away from my focus on my client. If I am bent towards displaying my body, it can be a distraction for my clients (many of whom already have hyper-sexualized pasts and boundary issues) from what I want them to do during the session. Sure, I may get attention from some clients because they are waiting for my body parts to fall out of my clothing, but is that really the attention that I want as their therapist? Not at all! 

I have always found that I can personalize my clothing, even when it's part of a uniform. I do that now with my headbands and my shoes. My art therapist friend personalizes herself through jewelry and scarves. We can still share some of our personalities, even with the restrictions of uniform clothing.

For all of those music therapy students out there, confused by what supervisors are telling you, here are my tips.
  1. Cover all cleavage, underwear, and skin from your neck to your knees.
  2. Check to see that skin is covered when you bend over, when you sit on the floor, when you play instruments, when you move the way that you have to move during the session. Have someone else watch you and let you know when that skin shows.
  3. Find something that is comfortable for you.
  4. When in doubt, go for loose fitting rather than body skimming clothing.
  5. Comfortable shoes are a MUST!
Good luck, all. I am getting ready to take my shower, put on my uniform, find some funky shoes, and go to work.

Happy Wednesday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA