Navigation

One of my most treasured possessions is an old Boy Scout compass that was my father's all through his Boy Scouting days. It's in really good shape considering that it was my Dad's and that I've got it now. It's probably at least 55 years old and may be more like 60-ish.

That compass has moved with me ever since my grandmother died. It has been to California, Arizona, and now resides with me in my current state. I put it in different places and rediscover it every so often. I even have a vague idea of how to use it as a tool for navigation.

I spend lots of time figuring out ways to navigate during the course of my job. I try to give my clients the tools that they need when going out into the greater world - social interactions, patience, the ability to ignore obnoxious others, actual map skills, you name it. I find myself navigating through my own social mishaps and situations as well.

That may be why I like music as a therapeutic medium. Music is time-framed. You start at the beginning and end up... somewhere. You may not always get where you thought you would be, but you end up somewhere. It is a journey.

I think that it is my job, as the therapist for my clients, to be the compass. I can offer information that leads in a specific direction, but I cannot necessarily force anyone to go into any particular way. The client has to choose to follow the path revealed.

Navigation may be as simple as getting from point A to point B. You may be able to see the end point from the starting point. In many cases, though, the trip is not that straight forward. There are dead ends, u-turns, scenic by-ways, and lane changes. Sometimes you get lost and have to go back to the beginning.

I'm getting ready for a trip across a couple of states. I am gathering my resources and provisions for the journey. I'll be taking printed directions on how to get to my destinations - I don't do GPS. My journey will require some navigation skill - I have to get from one place to another in a time-effective manner - but I will have help from those who are around to guide me. I will use tools and assistance on my journey, and I will be able to navigate this trip and my life experiences.

Help someone navigate their lives today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA