I Forgot to Be Thoughtful! Oh Dear...

I was driving home, heading to physical therapy and the actualization of imagined pain, when I remembered that it was Thursday, and I was writing a series of think pieces on Thursdays. I forgot to be thoughtful yesterday and didn't realize it until Thursday was almost over!! So, I am going to be thoughtful today!

This week's quote from my quote box was from Dale Carnegie. Dale Carnegie was an advocate for change in how we relate to others. One of his foci was workplace relationships, others were just plain old people-to-people relationships. He wrote How To Make Friends and Influence People in 1936, and there are tons of courses, books, articles that you can read if you are interested in learning more about Mr. Carnegie.

I've lived with this quote facing my computer for the past week. I have just one criticism about how the quote is displayed. I think that the change in sentences should be highlighted more than it is, but that's just a visual preference that I have for my own visuals. TANGENT! 

It is amazing how attitudes can change when you are enthusiastic about what you are doing. It is amazing how attitudes can change when you reach down and find some enthusiasm for your tasks and chores. It is amazing how others respond and react to you when you show some enthusiasm and interest in them and what they bring to the world.

Today I have several chores that I have to do that are not really easily filled with enthusiasm, but I have the ability to mix up my schedule today, so I can do a bit of chore and a bit of fun. I have the professional responsibility of clinical documentation (I didn't do last week's Thursday's notes, so I am BEHIND), but I have the fun of reorganizing the reward store for my students! I have the responsibility of cleaning my instruments after this last week's use, but I have the fun of making a catalog for said store! My enthusiasm for the "fun" things will make the "chores" not only tolerable but easier to complete.

Enthusiasm is something that can't really be faked. It is something that you can lose and then find again, but faking it makes it apparent that you really don't want to do the targeted task. 

Don't be a faker. Find your enthusiasm and use it.

Right now, I am enthusiastic about my physical therapy (even though my PT hurts me all the time, over and over again) because I know I am getting stronger and closer to full function. I am enthusiastic about several of my projects. I am enthusiastic about my clients. I am enthusiastic about my family. I am enthusiastic about music therapists and how to support them in their areas (intern webinars start next week! I am ready!!).

There are many things in my life that I am not enthusiastic about, and I am working on changing those things - finding my enthusiasm for different situations again.

Often, little things can spur that enthusiasm. One of the maintenance guys at my facility came into the music therapy room and completed a task that I requested in November 2014... hanging the clock over the door. My room is finally coming together. Our new project? An intercom so that I can hear when tornado drills are announced - pesky little safety expectations - and hanging stereo speakers on a completely curved wall. Then, I will feel that the room is finished. That clock, finally hung on Wednesday, sparked a bit of happiness in me.

What sparks your enthusiasm?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA