Adventures with iTunes

So, about once a year, I get into some sort of kerfluffle with my iPod. It's happening right now and continues to simultaneously baffle and confound me. I have said before (and I'll say it again and again), the logic behind iThings is not my logic.

My current struggle?

I've gone from over 21 thousand songs on my iPod to 3 thousand. I've lost 18 thousand songs. I did this somehow, but I can't figure out what I did or how I did it. I just know that things have left the iPod to the ether of my failed Apple experiences (there are lots of them, let me tell you!!).

Somehow, iTunes has put two different music libraries on my iTunes account. I have multiple copies of music lurking in several places in my computer pieces so I have multiple copies of things taking up valuable space. I am trying to consolidate but can't because I don't have enough space on either hard drive to put things on just one.

What to do?

Lots of gnashing of teeth, going to the internet for answers, and trying really hard not to scream.

I've ordered another external hard drive with much more storage, so I should be able to change this entire situation in about four days, but I'll have to wait until Sunday to get the box. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out what's gone missing, what needs to be ripped, and what I can backup onto the next drive. 

Both music folders (yes, there are two that I've found - one on my external drive where it's supposed to be and one on my personal computer where it's not supposed to be) have more than 3 thousand music files on them, but neither of them are communicating with iTunes the way they need to be. I am confused and baffled. I've gone through all of the different help manuals, internet tutorials, and user forums and still can't figure it out. I've looked at my iTunes media folders and attempted to consolidate them over and over again.

I went into the entire world of iThings kicking and screaming. Looking over mp3 players and the difficulties that I have with music storage at work, I found that the iPod classic gave me the biggest storage and most functionality. So, I went with an iPod when I needed something portable. Since then, Apple has stopped making the iPod classic model for things with significantly less storage, and I've wrestled with the thing over and over again. I don't have cloud access at work, so I still need this device, but I am trying some new options for music sharing and use. 

My struggle with iThings continues, but I've got a plan. We'll see if it works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA