TME Tuesday - Looking for Something New to Do

At this moment, right now, most of the posts on Music Therapists Unite are of the "What are your favorite...?" ilk. "What songs do you like to sing with people who are [fill-in-the-blank]?" These types of posts both baffle and intrigue me. Maybe it's a function of my longevity in this profession - I remember a time when you were completely on your own with a library card to help you find ideas. Maybe it's a function of how I was raised - my parents always offered us with challenges to be creative and expand our view. Maybe it's a function of my life in this profession - I don't often have the opportunity to talk to other music therapists about what they do in sessions. When I do, I am often the leader, not a participant, so I don't have much that I can absorb and learn from...

I don't often answer those types of posts. Occasionally I will, but I reserve my comments for times when I think my idea will truly enrich the sessions of specific clients or therapists. I also try not to overwhelm the group with advertisements for my blog - I find that practice annoying - so, I will occasionally respond to a request, but not often.

The fact is this type of question comes up in my own music therapy practice on a regular basis.

I have moments (days, weeks, months...) when I am bored with what I am doing with my clients and need some inspiration, so I can understand the motivation behind many of these posts, but I've learned how to answer my own question.

Here's my conversation...

"I am SO tired of singing 'Twinkle, Twinkle' with Client L. It's time to do something else."

"What else will engage Client L as much as 'Twinkle, Twinkle?' "

"Well, she seems to like to sing 'Old MacDonald' about as much. Maybe we could shift the focus from 'Twinkle' to 'Old MacDonald'."

"What are some other children's songs that Client L might also like that could expand her repertoire and offer me some more options?"

"I don't know. Let's go exploring..."

Google - Pinterest - Children's section at the library - YouTube - Wee Sing Songbooks - books of poetry - my sister the second grade teacher - my mother the occupational therapist - Client L's classroom teacher...

Steps to using the information found during the search:
  1. Write everything down. Seriously, write everything down somewhere that you will be able to keep it and look at it whenever you need it. For me, with my addiction to index cards, I use different colored index cards for different things. Song lists for specific goals go on cards coded for each of the domains that I address in my practice - motor; sensory; behavioral; cognitive; academic; communication; social; and other.
  2. Develop one idea at a time. Think about how you could use each of the things that you have found with specific clients. Again, write EVERYTHING down somewhere. You never know when an idea can be used with a client. Even if the idea seems silly - WRITE IT DOWN! It may not seem as silly in three years when a client has the specific treatment goals that can be fulfilled by that silly idea.
  3. Keep your eyes open for possibilities. One of my favorite things to do is to go to the Dollar store and browse. I go up and down the aisles, looking for things that I can use with my clients. I look everywhere - toys, crafts, bath stuffs, storage containers - you name it! I have found ways to use things from all of these categories within my practice.
  4. Share your ideas with others in a way that respects your intellectual property and ownership. What does this mean? I share my ideas through my website and this blog. Each one establishes a date of publication. This way, everyone can use the idea in their sessions, but it is clear that the protocol and TME is my original thought.
Gather your stuff together. Expand on it at least weekly. Be creative. Learn how to do this on your own. What would happen if you could not access others through social media? Could you still access your thoughts, ideas, and therapeutic music experiences?   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA