My Summer Playlist

I am a music therapist who rarely listens to music simply to listen. When I need stimulation, I turn on talk radio or the television rather than the radio. This is a fact that constantly amuses and amazes me as I go through my life as a music therapist.

Right now, however, I have decided that music is what I want in my atmosphere. My head hurts...again...and the television does not seem to be helping that situation, so I have turned on my Pandora channels and have requested a quick mix. This has helped me vacuum and steam clean the front portion of the living room carpet and has allowed me to give my eyes a rest for a time.

So, the music has been playing for a time now, and I am really enjoying the selections that have come from my Pandora selections. Now, I have eclectic tastes in music, and I think that my channels reflect that taste. I have a John Denver channel, a Simon and Garfunkel channel, and a channel for the Irish Rovers. There is a John Williams channel, Epic Soundtracks, Chantel Kreviazuk, and the Muppets channel. I also have a Barenaked Ladies channel and one for The World Ain't Slowin' Down.

This has started me thinking about my summer playlist. You know what I mean, the songs that are your idea of the perfect soundtrack for hanging out around the pool, not a care in the world, and nothing pressing to do for the next several days. What is on your summer playlist?

Here are some of my picks for songs and musicians...
  • Everyone on my Pandora Channel list, of course.
  • Any soundtrack by Rachel Portman - her music is the type of classical music that just plain fits most of my emotions, any time, any day.
  • The Beach Boys (of course, I'm a California girl at heart, so bring on the beach music)
  • 80's alternative - Adam Ant, A-Ha, Billy Idol, nothing really pop-80's but lots of one-hit wonders that just captured my attention many years ago.
  • Charo - believe it or not, the hoochie girl is an excellent flamenco guitarist. I love her stuff and use it for relaxation with clients often. It also relaxes me!
  • Anything by the Muppets, either the Sesame Street residents or the Muppet Show folks.
  • Silly Songs with Larry from VeggieTales - just plain old silly songs! Love them!!
  • Hair Band ballads - don't really like hair bands in general, but I do like their slower songs
  • Garth Brooks
There you go. That list should keep me busy for a while over the next several weeks.

Happy listening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA