My 2019 Review

The view from my sister's school.
It is that time of year. It is time for me to start thinking about the past year and how I want to change things in the upcoming year. The fact that this year (in my opinion) starts a new decade of my life and development is starting to weigh heavily on my thoughts about who I am and what I want to do and where I want to go.

So...here it is...my review of 2019.

Most of this year was a good one for me. My word of the year, COURAGE, led me to taking courses that I would never have considered before. I took two business-oriented courses that challenged me to look at what I have already done and see what I want to do in a more clear manner. I have pushed myself to identify what I want to do and how I want to do it. I have developed plans that seem to be working, and I have followed through on all of my goals. I took a REAL vacation, and I did not go to a conference that has bored me in the past several years. My year was interrupted by health concerns throughout, but I seem to have all that taken care of with the removal of a pesky organ. At the end of this year, I am feeling well and am looking forward to many things that did not interest me at this time last year.

My personal goals are still the same - eat better, clear and clean out, establish a better sleep routine, save money, do things that make me feel productive, and be mindful of what is happening. My professional goals are also pretty much the same - more business to my side jobs, better understanding of music and therapy, continue to work with students and interns to share knowledge of music therapy clinical technique, writing TMEs, refreshing my repertoire and interactions with my clients...the list goes on and on.

I could go through my bullet journal and write specific things about each of the months of this past year, but most of that stuff is at home, and that's not really the type of thing that I do, so you will be spared that particular situation. Overall, I feel like this has been an okay year. I am ready to move into 2020 with renewed optimism and goals.

I have also selected by word for 2020. Are you ready?? This is the culmination of several weeks of brainstorming, checking the thesaurus for meanings and related words, and deep contemplation of my options. Here it is...

That's it. That's my word of the year. It is also my color of the year - my sister will approve as she loves purple. For some reason, purple just seemed to go with the way I want to go into this new year and new decade.

I am in a season of growth and determination. This word seemed to encapsulate all of the other words that I tried on for size and it captured my thoughts like no other on the list.

I am heading into this new year wanting to grow, to develop skills, to change what isn't working into things that are working. I don't know for sure where I will end up, but I know where I am starting from, and I am ready to step out into the unknown to see what I can find there.

What is your word of the year? What do you want to accomplish in this upcoming year...decade?

Thank you for being with me on my journey through music, therapy, and my life...such as it is!

Happy end of the year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment