Resetting the Brain to Home Mode

Nothing looks like this now - it's better, I promise!
Today is Memorial Day in the States, but it is also my first day of break. One week from today, I will be back in the music therapy clinic, trying really hard to get used to a brand new schedule, and starting treatment for a brand new classroom experience that we've never done before. For now, however, I am sitting in my home, knowing that I have no place that I have to go today or for the next six days.

What a luxury.

The goals that I will be working on this week include thinning out the stuff that I have in my home and cleaning things around home. The church that I work for is having a rummage sale in two weeks, so I have a place to take things and a deadline for the first bit. I started with the books yesterday. I have a 40-gallon tote almost full, and I've only gone through some of the books. I hope to have two totes of books ready to go tomorrow as well as some bags of clothes. I also have a bunch of cords and random wi-fi things that I don't need, but that I keep around for some odd reason. I do need to go through those before I can donate them - I'm looking for two specific cords, but after a careful review, those can go as well.

I want to take a gulp and throw out all the things that I've been storing in totes for years now. I haven't even looked in them for about three years, so I obviously don't need those things anymore. The only way I'll be able to do this is to just open the totes at the dumpster and dump things in without looking at what leaves the totes. The problem?? Some of those things will be recyclables and others will be non-recyclables, so I'm not sure what to do. I guess I will go the non-recyclable route.

I can do this!

It is amazing how much music therapy thinking I get done when I am focused on home things. My brain doesn't stop thinking about interventions or my clients or my session strategies when I am on vacation - it usually starts to click when it is the most inconvenient for my work process. So, I'll keep a pad of paper nearby at all times to jot down ideas. 

Time to start my process - 30 minutes of cleaning and then 30 minutes of something else - repeat as necessary until exhausted or finished with all tasks. I'm going to start with cleaning this time around. I need to run another load of dishes this morning before I start the laundry. I see some books within my sight right now that can be donated, so I'll start in that corner after the dishes start up. I have Murder She Wrote to keep me company, so it is time to start my process.

See you tomorrow!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA