Resting...Resting

I'm enjoying this whole "sleep until you wake up" routine. I was able to sleep until about 5am this morning, even with the anxious dog above whining, barking, and howling all night. Poor thing. My heart breaks to hear it, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Resting is something that is difficult for me to do. I just can't seem to quiet my thoughts or body enough to truly rest. My brain starts clicking into my personal goblins, "I Should," "I Could," and "I Would." 

"I should be cleaning the carpet."
"I could be making something new for the website."
"If I wasn't so silly/stupid/lazy, I would be able to be _____."

It always amazes me how much I get in my own way.

The goblins creep up on me in several ways. They start their whispering when I am getting sick. They sneak up on me when I am sitting in meetings with other music therapists. They lurk behind everything I do, but I've learned how to keep them at bay when I am busy.

When I am scheduled for some rest time, the goblins are more difficult to keep contained. The best thing for me is to leave my home - go somewhere where I can find some creativity but not do much about it. My creative thoughts are free to bloom, and the home-related goblins stay at home. I can't be vacuuming when I am away. It works well for me.

Today is for work. Tomorrow is for rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA