My Continuing Struggles with iThings

I am notoriously bad with devices made by the Apple company. I know that when I write about things like this, there are devout Apple-ites out there who stop reading what I write for a while, but I just can't seem to figure out how to make iThings work and keep them working. There is something about my chemistry, or my brainwaves, or my logic that just gets in the way of all things Apple.

Just to get this out of the way, please know that I am not AGAINST iThings, but I can't use them. I've tried and tried, but I just can't seem to figure them out. Case in point? I am currently having difficulty with my iTunes and iPod connections.

Somehow, over the holiday break I just had, I managed to delete about 20,000 songs off my iPod. I'm not sure how it happened, but it happened. All of those songs just disappeared.

It started off innocently enough. I needed some space on my hard drives and found that there were two copies of music in my system - one on my external drive (where I wanted it) and one on my internal drive (not a place where I wanted my music stored). I tried to eliminate the one on the internal drive and probably ended up deleting every thing. I was successful at getting more space on my computer, but there didn't seem to be a copy function that communicated with iTunes. I could see the files sitting on the external drive, but the iPod couldn't find them. I made sure that I had changed all of the settings within iTunes, but...

Right now, I am cherry-picking through my CDs and copying the files onto my new external hard drive (lots more space for music!!) and am slowly transferring music from CD form into iTunes and the iPod. I am cherry-picking the CDs because the iPod is a major tool for my clientele. They want their music options. So, I am ripping things like my Now! That's What I Call Music series and the Disney music and my compilation CDs.

My struggle with iTunes, the iPod, and other iThings continues. I will strive to figure out this thing that I have when it comes to all things Apple, but I am thinking that after several decades, it probably is out of my reach and comprehension - and that is okay!

The process of going through my CD collection has been interesting. I can remember where I got most of the CDs, and I can often remember who I bought the CD for. Many times, I made purchases to get access to one song for one client who loved that one song, but most of the time, I bought music for me. I was able to find great CD deals, so my CD collection grew and grew. I have music from all over the world and all over the musical genre world as well. I have music for every mood and for most topics! I have theme songs for some of the people in my life. Curious George theme, anyone?? I know popular songs, but I really love obscure ones. My music collection is something that I am proud of and that I use daily!

If I could only find where it was stored on my computer system...

Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA