Catching Up...

I didn't post this morning since I was trying to get some other music therapy work finished and sent to CBMT as well as organizing my thoughts about music therapy for the day, so I'm posting this evening instead.

So, how are things going with you?

I realize that I've been overly focused on me lately. Can I get my stuff done? Why am I having problems with these kids? Why does EVERYTHING happen to me?? (Dramatically throwing myself on my bed and sobbing in a manner fit for a Disney princess!!)

This is probably why things haven't really been going as well as I always hope. I've been focusing a bit too much on the internal and the external things that occur within my personal space bubble rather than looking outside that bubble to the other people sharing my space.

Today was a good day for music therapy moments. We (my intern and I) are finally starting to increase our individual interactions with students, and she had one of our more difficult group members today. They sat with the keyboard between them and an old bongo drum nearby. She demonstrated the keyboard and he spun the drum. She started to hit the drum once it stopped moving. He reached over and played the keyboard. She played the keyboard. He spun the drum. She hit it again. He played the keyboard. She echoed the keyboard.

The session kept going. A student who had not really interacted much in the group session was not only interacting, he was initiating, changing the patterns, shaping her responses, and laughing!

The worst part for me? Not getting to play! But, I realized that it was not my place or time to be actively in that experience...even though I REALLY wanted to be a part of the conversation. I was able to stay out of most of the interactions, but he did look at me and twinkle every so often!

Watching that interaction, occurring outside my personal space bubble, really reminded me of what I am constantly challenged by - the idea that there are some situations that do not require or need me, my person, or my thoughts, opinions, and interactions - there are times when I am not needed.

Now it's time to check in with you again - how are you doing? Are you getting a chance to focus on yourself (but not overly so?)?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA