The Importance of Rest

So, here's the deal. There has been lots of talk on the blogosphere about self-care for music therapists lately. It's now my turn!

I am a HUGE advocate for self-care for the caregiver. This is not an easy thing to do, but it is important for us all to be able to take care of ourselves. I am getting ready to do just that.

One of the things that I have realized is that self-care looks different for each of us. For one therapist, a cruise surrounded by people may be the perfect way to unwind. For another, a camping trip in the mountains may fit the bill. For still another, sleeping in and being leisurely may need to be what happens. The trick is to find what works best for you, and then do that!

I will be taking a mini-break next week. All winter, I work on inclement weather days, driving through the snow and ice in order to provide care for my students. When the winter is through, I get to have days off when I choose to take the time. I've decided that next week is the week of my time off - my second Spring Break, if you will.

I get to take Monday through Thursday off, returning to work on Friday. I have already used some of my time off for sickness. I'm feeling pretty good right now, so I want to take my time off at a time when I can enjoy it (and not spend time getting tests in the hospital). I hope to clean things around here, take naps, and generally not be around folks. I'll cover my groups by leaving them activity boxes for use, and then I'll just vacate my job for four glorious days!

For me, self-care means being alone for some time, getting reenergized and ready for the interaction of people to happen later on. As an introvert, I have been criticized for years about not being social enough. It has been nice to know that this is not a form of social retardation but just part of my personality, and IT'S FINE! Introverts tend to need time away from other people in order to replenish their social energy. I am not alone out there, but all of us prefer to stay away from others, so we have some difficulty finding one another. Thank goodness for social media! I can connect and still have the peace that I need to be an effective therapist.

My other side of self-care is going to be making things. I have a pizza box station ready to go to work, but I need to laminate and then assemble it. So, it's time to start another. The first centers on songwriting - bare bones, rhythm, melody, and lyrics. What should the second cover? I'm thinking basic music notation - melody for one box and rhythm notation for another. The eventual goal is that my clients use these boxes on the days when I am absent - kinda like next week. Too bad they are just in the development stage right now. They will be ready for the next time!

Take some time to take care of yourself over the next days, weeks, and months. You are important, and a therapist who cannot take care of him or herself is not a therapist that will actually help clients. Take some time and breathe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA