Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda Goblins...

Today, September 2, 2013, is the day that the US takes to recognize those who work. I find it a bit ironic that the very people that we started off recognizing are now working at special sales so their corporate bosses can earn more money, but I digress from my point. Happy Labor Day!

The best part about days like this is that there is no obligation to do anything! I do not have to work. I do not have to clean. I do not have to dress out of my pajamas. I don't have to cook. This is the best way to have a day off. I can do anything I want to do during the next several hours.

So, what will I be doing this Labor Day?

I look around my home and think, "I should..." Those little shoulda, coulda, woulda goblins start to take over my brain. Should be cleaning the kitchen. Could be organizing the craft room. Wouldn't it be appropriate to use this time in a productive manner rather than frittering it all away? If allowed to roam freely, these goblins start to fill the room, multiplying into tidal waves of questions, doubts, and guilt.

That simply will not do.

Each time I start to get overwhelmed by the shoulda, coulda, woulda goblins, I tend to avoid it all - not always the most healthy situation. To do something more productive, I am going to try making a new list - a should list and a get-to list.

Today's list:
  • Should wash pillows - - Get to make a file folder TME
  • Should wash dishes - - Get to eat ice cream
  • Should vacuum front room - - Get to watch television
  • Should cook food for meals this week - - Get to eat some!
There you go. I hope that this will turn my goblins into little bitty inconsequential things to do.

My goblins are not just present at home. I am the type of person who takes those goblins with her everywhere. I should be a better therapist. I could try to redesign my ineffective therapy sessions. I would do more if I had more money, time, interest, etc. Each time I start to doubt myself, the goblins come out and take over.

Currently, I have lots of goblins hopping over me at work. I am having some difficulty settling into our new routine and reality. Paras seem to have forgotten what they are supposed to do as part of the session. Kids are having some problems with the new format. I feel like I am constantly running and not engaging in anything meaningful during therapy. I leave some sessions feeling like the most ineffectual music therapist in the world.

Welcome back, Goblins.

The trick is to start to address each of the goblins directly to make things so uncomfortable for them that they go away.

So, how do I do this? I'll let you know. Right now, I am starting with getting the paras back into their expected roles in the music therapy session. This may prove to be difficult as my principal is not very supportive of me, but I will get them to be back in groups, participating with kids, and engaged. I will continue to talk to kids about why our sessions have changed so drastically and try to incorporate their ideas into session planning. I will continue to keep looking for ways to organize myself and get used to the new ways of doing things.

Okay, goblins - try to do your worst! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA