The Importance of Music Theory

Many years ago, I sent out an informal survey to interns asking them to identify the advice they wish they had been told before they started their internship. Almost every single one (there were only 9, but still...) stated, "Don't sell your theory books back! You will need them!!" I laughed when I saw that comment on survey after survey!

It amazes me how many music therapy students do not realize why they have to take music theory as part of their music therapy education. Music theory is the foundation of all of the things I do in my sessions - ALL OF IT!

I spend most of the time that I am in music therapy sessions actively engaged in making music. Sometimes I engage in musicking with my clients, other times I am the only person making music. All of my songs, chants, raps, and improvisations are rooted in the things I learned in my two and a half years of theory as well as my additional theory study over the past 22 years. Playing by ear? Helps if you can narrow down the options based on typical chord progressions. Wanting something new? Try a different mode - place something in the Lydian mode instead of the Ionian. Rhythm experience? Heading to the basics of meter, subdivision, and tempo...

I write songs all the time - THEORY!

Without a sound base in music theory, we cannot make quality music with our clients. Know those chord progressions, know your secondary dominants in all major and minor keys, know how to transpose from one key to another without thinking about it.

This is all coming from the fact that I need to transpose a song for my accompanist for this morning. I am very glad that I am able to do this task without difficulty, as I had amazing theory teachers and professors!! Thank you for giving me the foundation that I needed to do my job each and every day!

For all of you music therapists out there, crack open your theory books every once in a while. If you sold it back to the bookstore, buy an advanced theory book and challenge yourself to write music that addresses each of the lessons in the book. Your musical offerings will be much richer for the practice, and you will feel a sense of accomplishment when you can improvise within the Aeolian mode! Enjoy!! 

Comments

  1. Very true, MJ! I always struggled with theory when I was in college (luckily I have a pretty good ear), but you're absolutely right. Theory is so much a part of what I do every day, and I'm realizing that even more as I teach guitar to music therapy students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA