The end of vacation...

The end of vacation occurred today. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth as I ended my fruitless quest for the minimalist apartment and settled for less crap sitting around. After two phone calls from my boss - she started each conversation with "Don't panic, this isn't a big deal," I have concluded that I am ready to return to the daily pattern of work and work, and then work some more.


It is time to focus on being therapeutic again. I had a great conversation with a friend who is a professor. She reinforced all of the things that I do not like about academe - the hidden rules, the tenure-track, the isolation and the pressures to fulfill the role of perfection. I am still firm in my resolution to remain a clinician, even after I complete my education and effectively price myself out of a job!


There is a role for over-educated clinicians in the field of music therapy. I see this role as educational on a personal level - providing examples of theory-based therapy in the workforce. Music therapists will never be fully accepted by members of other professions until we display a well-rounded profession. I provide an example of music therapy that is theoretically sound and approachable. This is important to the longevity of our profession.


Just some fired-up ramblings. Off to work on Monday!

The life of a cat is a simple one, wait for the big things that provide food to worship us. - Bella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA