Sentimental Sunday: Post #1797 - March 8, 2018

Sentimental Sunday – Graphic has mottled gray background with yellow spindly flowers coming from off-screen on both bottom corners. In script, there is the text, “Sentimental Sunday.” Under the title text, in smaller print, the text states, “musictxandme.blogspot.com” and www.musictherapyworks.com -the URLs of the blog and the website.
It is Sunday, so I am taking a glimpse at a random post from past me. Today's post (from the random number generator) was #1797. I looked at the archives and found that this post was written on March 8, 2018 and was all about taking time to make things work.

This same topic comes up again and again for me. Do I rush through something because I have to have some sort of product at the end of the process, or do I take the time to do things with thought and care? One thing that I have found is that rushing often means having to go back and fix things which requires undoing and more time.

I think one of the benefits of living through a global pandemic where my job situation changed about every six weeks for about 8 months before going back to the "new normal" was that I learned to let some things go. I no longer want to do everything for everyone all the time. I am better about saying "no" when I need to do so. I was able to find new foci for my time and energy. I still want more time to do things that are not part of my full-time job. I need lots of sleep, and that need seems to be increasing rather than decreasing as I age. When given the choice between doing additional work or sleeping, I always choose sleep! The me back in 2018 wanted to fill up every single moment with productivity - now me finds the thought of that absolutely exhausting! I have learned to let some things go.

At the moment, I am dwelling a bit on some issues that are recurring in my internship program. These issues are taking up lots of my time (which makes me wonder if I am getting sick again as referenced in the past me's post). I wonder if these issues are mine and mine alone or if these things are not my issues. I am taking lots of time to think about this and analyse things in order to make things work for my interns.

I have so much to say about all of this, but it comes off as pedantic and whiny, so I will try to refrain from making too many comments about all of this. I am just frustrated. I am having to navigate the world of a post-pandemic educational system that hurt people, I think. The problem that I see is that I have to prepare my interns for jobs and work is not always trauma-informed. I know mine is not...

Uh-oh. I'm getting sucked into the vortex now.

Let's break out of this constantly swirling thought pattern and start to figure out solutions to the situations at hand. I am having difficulty separating this into work issues at work and home things into home. I wonder if I am getting sick again... hope not.

The next part of my immediate future includes a shower, some laundry, and then heading out to work. I have to do the dishes today after work, but that's about all that I have going on right now. I bought some new clothing yesterday for this autumn - some pants and some long-sleeved t-shirts to wear to work. There is nothing at the theater that I am interested in going to see right now. The only thing that isn't really horror or just not my thing is Barbie, and I've already seen it. I hate horror movies, so I am avoiding our local theater until something interesting shows up. For the moment, I am enjoying YouTube videos and the latest Disney+ stuff being released.

I hope that you get some time to do things well the first time around. I also hope that any sort of problems that you have right now sort themselves into clear answers. See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA