Sentimental Sunday: Post #894 - July 30, 2015 and a Focus on Self-Care

Sentimental Sunday – Graphic has mottled gray background with yellow spindly flowers coming from off-screen on both bottom corners. In script, there is the text, “Sentimental Sunday.” Under the title text, in smaller print, the text states, “musictxandme.blogspot.com” and www.musictherapyworks.com -the URLs of the blog and the website.
Today's Random Number is #894 - a post from July 30, 2015

Apparently, that date was the second day of my end-of-summer break, and I was in full-out rest mode. I tend to do very little during my breaks from being a school-based music therapist, and I have become a bit more allowing of that particular trait than I have been in the past. I often feel like I need to fill up my time off with tasks in order to be a good person. It has only been recently that I've changed my definition of what it means to be a good person.

I was thinking about self-care on July 30th. Apparently, I held a webinar on the 29th all about the topic, so it was fresh in my mind.

I think about self-care often. There are times when it feels selfish but there are other times when it helps me continue to do my job. I know that there are many different perspectives about what self-care is and whether it is something important or necessary. My perspective is that there are things I need to do to keep up my ability to interact with my clients. The things that I need to do are often things that help me remain calm, project authority, and navigate the complex situations that happen for my clients. If I can spend a bit of time making something or watching a movie or taking an extra long shower or making my favorite meal, then I can refresh and renew my energy to go into the music therapy room and focus on my clientele.

This reminder is good as the school year ramps up into the full-time process that will go until our first break at Thanksgiving. There is usually a big shock with heading back to five day work weeks after having only four days at work. Also, we have lots of weeks ahead before that break at Thanksgiving. During the summer, we work for four weeks before a break and then three weeks with another break. Going back to a full-time schedule with less time off is a bit of a shock every August.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love most things about my job. Would I change some things? Of course, but I love much more than I would change about my job. Sure, there are times when I wonder why I do what I do, but there are other times when I feel lucky to work with the kids that I work with on a daily basis. I think I have been able to stick it out because I have adopted these self-care practices.

My self-care practice for today includes a hot shower, getting dressed for work in something I like, and then heading to work. Once work is over, I will go to a movie - Elemental is being shown again - and I might get something to eat before the movie or not. Yesterday's self-care practice was setting up pages in my current journal. I am ready to put in any dates between now and the new year. I also printed off some pictures to cut out and use for a project that has not been determined yet. I figure that I will cut out the pictures and then see where I go with the project...

Self-care looks different for every self. It looks different for me at different times in my life and existence. At the moment, self-care is being focused on a project of some sort - something that can shift my attention away from stressors and onto something concrete. At other times, self-care is focusing on my eating habits or taking time away from my home and work environments. The self-care practices that I choose depend on what things are happening around me. 

I am thankful that we have another day to rest this week. I miss my three-day weekends. This one is just difficult because it reminds me of the summer schedule that I am trying really hard to forget every year. 

I like working four days a week.

Today, however, is for working and resting and self-care. Thanks for the reminder, me in July 2015. It is timely, as always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA