I Informed You Thusly

One of my favorite shows is The Big Bang Theory, and one of my favorite episodes is one where Sheldon makes a statement about no longer wanting to say "I told you so" because that is pretty cliched at this point. He decided to change his smug statement to "I informed you thusly." I happen to like this and have taken it as my own statement of smugness.

Yesterday, I went through some of my old blog posts to see how long I have been predicting that AMTA would be going through some audacious changes. It's been a pattern for over three and a half years now. Insert smug statement here.

Going back to work is causing me to struggle mightily this week. I am currently sitting at my desk at 5:21 am, struggling to keep my eyes open after increased pain in my back yesterday and complete exhaustion. I cancelled my intern webinar last evening because I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I did not get to sleep as early as I was hoping, but I was able to relax a bit. I am having difficulty with breathing at the moment - too much pollen and dampness to be able to function well - but I will not go to my full allergy medication until Friday morning when I can stay at home. The side effects of the full dose take me 24 hours to get over and are dangerous for me to be driving until I am over all of them. So, I have to stay on the half dose, increase my inhaler use, and just handle not being able to breathe until Friday. After that, I will be on the full dose and will not have an issue with the initial side effects.

This week has gone smoothly in the music therapy room. I have spent much of my time watching interns, as planned, and I have been able to keep myself going even through the just sitting there part of everything. Today is a busy one. We have six music therapy groups, an intern consultation, and a pod meeting to end the day. My summer schedule overloads the last two days of the work week with sessions. In the next two days, I have to get all sorts of treatment finished for the week. It is a bit more spread out on Mondays and Tuesdays. Today will be a day of hurrying up and then waiting. My last session is at 2pm - the time of day where I just start to shut down. I also get to run that session - one of the two that I run every week at the moment. I will see these students on Thursday afternoon as well. I am looking forward to playing the guitar and interacting as "therapist" with our newest clients. I hope I can do the session without yawning. At this moment, it seems difficult. I am starting the day exhausted, and I am not sure that I will be any less exhausted at the end of the therapy day.

Well, I am almost through the second viewing of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Episode 4 at the moment. I still need to get my work pants on, head to the gas station to get very expensive gas for the commute, and get to work this morning. The day will be full, but I am hoping that a full day will go quickly, even when I am not doing the therapy interactions. I have to write an acceptance verification letter for my next intern (#35!) who accepted the position yesterday, do the supervision for intern #33, and work on some extraneous and unimportant projects in my music therapy space while listening to interns lead sessions. I think today is the day where each intern runs their own groups exclusively - no co-leading today. After all of that, I will run my one session and then sit through our meeting before watching interns do notes and then loading up to come home. I do not have to go anywhere this evening, so I can just relax and attempt to sleep. Two more work days for this first week of our extended school year. I can make it!

Wish me luck!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA