The Not-To-Do List

I have both a to-do list and a not-to-do list.

The not-to-do list is one that I visit every so often - not as frequently as the to-do list, but I have recently found that I am needing to rethink what is on the not-to-do list. At the moment, there are items on the list that are no longer relevant or important to me, so it is time to revisit this not-to-do compilation. Now, because I try my best to be a positive type person, I will try to remember to write these things down in a way that allows me to frame these not-to-dos in ways that encourage me to do things a bit differently rather than assigning blame or shame on myself.

The Not-To-Do List

I will do my best to remember the following things...

  1. Rush - It is not necessary to rush through things or experiences or conversations. There is no place that I have to be that is more important than watching a sunrise or talking to someone who needs some connection.
  2. Worry - One of my favorite quotations (that I first heard in Van Wilder) is "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere." Apparently, that quote was coined by Glenn Turner (amazing what you can find on the internet these days) who was a New Zealand cricket coach. There is nothing that I can solve by being worried.
  3. Gossip - ooh, this one is difficult right now because I now share space with two gossipers. I have been blissfully unaware of most of the gossip about my coworkers for many years, and now I am pulled back into the gossip swamp. There isn't much that comes out of listening or repeating gossip. I need to remember this fact and distance myself again from the information coming from me.
  4. Make Unrealistic Expectations of Myself - This one is one that I need to add because I seem to enjoy making goals and then ignoring those goals and then castigating myself when I do not accomplish the goals that I set. It is a vicious cycle that is not very good for me. Included in this particular goal is resisting the temptation to compare myself and what I have to offer to those who seem to be more successful than me. Pretty Pinterest Perfection Place only exists in Pinterest. It is okay not to portray that type of picture to the world, and it is more than okay not to have that sort of life. Life is not pretty, perfect, or Pinterest. It just isn't. RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO SET GOALS!

That seems like enough for now.

What is on your not-to-do list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment