Another Trip Around the Sun

Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent it the way I hope to spend many more birthdays - quietly. It was a "work from home" day originally scheduled as an inservice day, so I had the opportunity to save some time and gasoline by remaining at home rather than heading to work. I didn't "work from home" much yesterday, but I will make up for that time in the next couple of days. I did spend some time making things in my craft room and then napping for a long, luxurious period. I had ice cream for dinner and then slept all night. It was a good day and hit some of the things that I love best about breaks from working.

I am a bit more ambitious about today.

This is the second day of my first summer break, and I want to get a start on some of the decluttering that I desperately need to continue. Spending time in my craft room yesterday demonstrated to me that I have too much stuff just sitting around that needs to be removed from my life without another thought. I get too attached to stuff and then it accumulates. It is time to get rid of some stuff. I hope I can find some places where I can donate some of this stuff, but I am not sure if folks are taking outside donations of craft materials at the moment. I have some magazines and yarn and other craft items that I will not use, so I may as well see if someone else can use it. I've thought about local long term care facilities and the Boys and Girls club in my town - any other suggestions? I want these things to be used as much as possible by people who will use them.

Anyway, I have spent lots of time in contemplation over the past year due to everything that has happened, and I have come to a couple of conclusions about myself. These conclusions seem to be fitting for this post as I start a new trip around the sun...

Here goes:

  • I am not all that goal-oriented these days. I am not sure if this has been influenced by COVID or just my own inherent lazy nature, but I am not really all that interested in setting goals that just sit there on paper without any real commitment from me. I seem to just make goals because other people make goals, so why am I continuing to do something that doesn't work for me?
  • I want to make things for other people. I enjoy the process of making things but I am not all that good about using the things that I make. I don't really frame my pictures or use the journals that I like to make. I just like making them. Realizing this has been a big mindshift for me. I am not all that interested in making money from what I make, but I will certainly take reimbursement for shipping...I think. I like the idea of someone out there using something that I made for them, and I like the idea of making it and then letting it leave my house even better!
  • I have lots to share with others. This isn't that much of a leap, but I want to actively share things more with my music therapy community. I want to explore some more discussions with music therapy students, interns, and professionals. I want to build my YouTube offerings and do some more topic productions. I want to talk to music therapists about how we do things and why we do things and about all the things.
These are some of the ideas that I have in my brain at the moment. I think I will heat up some Mexican food for breakfast and then head into the craft room to do some work on throwing things out. It is time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA