TME Tuesday - Can't Smile Without You

The song that I randomly chose for Sing a Song Sunday #2 was Can't Smile Without You sung by Barry Manilow. Not my normal choice for my students, primarily because this song was popular when I was little and most of the students' parents are younger than me, but also because it is just plain old sentimental and not generally what we use in my music therapy clinic. 

So, that led me to think about how I could possibly use the song with my clients. I think about using the music itself as a background figure, supporting and changing the elements of music to incorporate the iso-principle. Then, my brain moves into how to use the entire song as a therapeutic catalyst. Voila, a TME!

Check out the ideas and experiences page on my website for the entire TME.

This TME is not something I would do with just any client in my practice. It would not work with many of my students with diagnoses of developmental disabilities and psychiatric disorders. There is a group of clients that I see during my year, and it would work with those few. I probably wouldn't start using it as a group TME though. There are some thoughts that need to be shared without the prying ears of peers around...

Comments are always welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA