Potpourri

A mishmash of thoughts, comments, and things to know...

I will apologize for this blog post in advance. So, here goes my current state of mind word salad...

Worker's comp - a baffling tool when you need it. It is something that you never want to have to use, but it is nice to know that it is there if something does happen. Here I go into the world of comp doctors, examinations, and paperwork. Ugh.

Behavior Management - I wonder if folks realize that allowing a screaming person to have whatever they want is not the best idea if you want that person to stop screaming in the future.

Chinese food - When I have a day like the one I had yesterday (see the two topics above for a small glimpse into my recent experiences at work), the best remedy is food from Peking Taste, my favorite Chinese food place. They deliver, so I do not even have to go to them. They bring all types of delectable morsels right to my door. Yum!

Frustration - There are moments when I am stymied. I am currently in one of those moments. There are three particular clients that I have right now who are engaging in inappropriate behaviors to communicate what they need or want. I have always felt that behavior is communication, but I am not asking too much. I ask for an answer to the question, "Do you want a book to read?" Screaming, kicking, pulling hair, and tantrum behaviors are not appropriate responses to that question. Unfortunately, I am just stubborn enough not to allow him not to answer with a conventionally accepted word or sign. Screaming, kicking, pulling hair, and tantrum behaviors are not socially accepted as responses to most questions. Hence, the trip to Worker's comp later today...

Comments

  1. Gah! Sorry your day was awful, and, more importantly, sorry you got hurt. When my clients get completely out of control, I figure it's a sign to stop for this day and try again another day. Otherwise, it becomes an insane match-up of "who's going to win this?" and it's not about that. Of course, another possibility is that your person was very frustrated from the rest of his day and felt safe enough in your session to vent. Very agreed, however, that trying to kill people when overly stimulated/upset is not cool!

    Power and control are huge issues for people- especially people with lots of labels. Usually they're put in a position of not having much power, and, to add to the challenges, it's difficult to control themselves, so sometimes it all goes to hell and it gets reenacted in music therapy.
    :- (

    Be safe and good luck in the workers comp vortex!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA