La-a-a-a-ast Day, Last Day of School!

I was singing the title as I was writing it. There's a bit of a melody to the idea of the last day of the regular school year. I am pleased to have made it this far, and I am looking forward to a short break before starting our Extended School Year.

Yesterday was the largest graduation ceremony that I have ever experienced at my facility. Nine graduates - almost 8% of our total school population. We had a chance to celebrate them as they go into the next phase of their lives. Now it is time to get to the business of closing up the therapy room and getting serious about time away from work. 

You know me, I write about self-care quite a bit. I firmly believe that every single therapist MUST have a healthy self-care plan in place in order to help handle incidents like burnout, compassion fatigue, and secondary trauma. I feel that each music therapist should have such a plan, but I admit that I don't always run my plan the way I should. Self-care should be a constantly evolving program - finding what works, discarding what doesn't, and shifting to find what is needed at each particular time.

For now, I am going to indulge in a bit of self-care through organizing and straightening my work area to make it as functional as possible for our return to work. My life will change once I am hosting an intern in the space, so I want to be able to focus on her rather than focusing on cleaning or organizing or other tasks. I want her workspace to be welcoming and ready for her to make her own when she walks in the music therapy room on Monday morning.

So, now I am going to do some of my new morning routine - reading my Bible, eating breakfast, working on a project - and then head to work to clean, to organize, and to make my intern welcome.

La-a-a-a-ast Day, Last Day of School!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA