Centers - Again

Well, week two of this experiment went about as could be expected. I got some good anecdotal information about my students, and I am now revising my centers yet again. I realize I need MANY more things to do, covering a wide range of interests, academic levels, and attention spans. Now, to be fair to myself, I knew most of that already, but this week REALLY reinforced that which I already knew to be true.

I was fascinated by who would and who would not go listen to something on the computer. Only about half of my students would wear headphones - the others either took them off immediately or refused to leave the singing carpet to begin with. I had thought that being able to listen to someone other than me would be a big draw, but I was wrong for about half of my students. Interesting.

This week is supposed to be two center start-off week.

I have some animal themed things to do. There is a sensory box full of dyed pasta (It was fun to make, and I hope it's completely dry now) with plastic animals to find and sort. I have a "Design your own zoo" map for kids to complete. I am finding animal sounds for a listening bingo type game/experience at "Listen." I have a habitat sort file folder set-up for another "Learn" station. At the center with me, I have a book, Going to the Zoo, and several original TMEs - Walk Like an Animal among them - and a dice game to decide which animal we will move like. Some groups will make an animal symphony with percussion instruments and voices. Some groups will dance to In the Jungle and Jungle Boogie. Yet others will make up their own movements in the Monkey Boogie. I am hoping that it will all go smoothly, but my rational brain tells me that things will happen the way they always happen - some as expected, some new things that I've never thought of before...




This is going to be an adventure. It will happen.

Happy Monday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA