I am Thankful

I feel sorry for the American holiday known as Thanksgiving. It comes in the increasingly commercial period of time between Halloween (the candy holiday) and Christmas (the "spend all your money on those you love" holiday). Hidden in the middle is small little Thanksgiving - a day dedicated to remembering the gifts we have because we live where we live.

I am NOT a fan of traditional Thanksgiving foods, but I am a fan of the thoughts and ideas behind the holiday itself. There will be no turkey, cranberry sauce, or (shudder) stuffing at my Thanksgiving meal, but there will be thoughts for those near to me and far away. 

I am usually far away from my loved ones on the holiday, so I can spend it however I want. Most of the time, I just cook a special meal for me and then spend the rest of the time doing my usual routines. I don't go shopping at all (unless I REALLY have to), and I talk to everyone in my near family. There will be dishes to do and laundry to wash. There will be songs to sing and television to watch.

I try to spend some extra time during this month thinking about the things that I have in my life. I try to be mindful about the privileges that I have simply because of my country-of-origin. I try to remember those who do not have as many opportunities, and I try to do something about it.

There are some times that I am better at outward thinking than others.

One of my students asked me about traditional Thanksgiving songs the other day. I could only identify Over the River and Through the Woods and several Christian hymns to be included on the list. I'm going to be spending some time using Google to see if I can find others. (I've also written several of my own, but those aren't traditional songs.)

For today, I am thankful that there were a bunch of people out there a long time ago who realized that music could do so much more than just fill up quiet space. Those people kept fighting for music therapy as a science, as a profession, and as a treatment modality for those who can benefit. 

During the Online Conference for Music Therapy, I am often reminded of the fact that we, as music therapists, have come a long way. During that conference, I get to hear from people who are music therapists in places where music therapy is not even an idea. They are practicing what I take for granted in places where the thought of music being a science is a novel idea. Their music therapy advocacy journey is where ours (in the States) was back in the 1940's and 1950's - a constant quest for recognition.

I am thankful for the work of those music therapy pioneers who established a foundation for the future. I am hopeful for those of us right now who are the current foundation that we will continue to build up the foundation and keep it solid through changes in our education, clinical training, research, and professional interactions with clients.

It's almost time for Thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA