Diving Into a New Focus

I am going to be spending some time this week researching a new client population. I have an important conversation about music therapy in a different form later this week, and I need to refresh my ideas about music as a therapeutic medium for people other than those I work with primarily. This is exciting and somewhat daunting as well.

When I am tasked with these types of discussions and "performances," I find my path through the information in my textbooks and my journals.

Fortunately, I believe that music therapy is not something that dictates only one way. What do I mean by that? Ooh. It is difficult to explain, but important to explain as well. 

Here's what I think I mean.

A music therapist who is centered in how elements of music can affect human physiology, psychology, and behavior can adapt the tool (music) to accommodate differences in each client. Sure, there are specific protocols that have been developed and researched, but a sophisticated music therapist should be able to provide therapy services for each human being based on what is known about music and humans.

I root myself in what I know about humans. I read as much as I can about how music changes neurological processes which then change outward responses and behaviors. My Psych in Music texts come in handy here. 

My commutes will be spent practicing my spiel. I love that our society talks so much on devices now. Twenty years ago, people thought I was a bit silly when they saw me talking to myself in the car. Now they just think I'm on the phone with someone. It's wonderful! I sing to myself, I talk to myself, and I spend quite a bit of time rehearsing important conversations. No one even looks twice!

What types of things do you use to research music therapy with different populations? Let me know in the comments!

Time to get the day started.

Happy Tuesday, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA