Research-Informed Clinician Quest - Entry #4

I am finally finished with my exploration phase of how to use research to inform and strengthen my clinical practice. Now I am settling into refining the technique and making it a habit rather than an occasional thing.

Here is what I've found works for me...

(Big surprise - COLOR). I use post-it notes to organize my thinking and my thought process during my reading. I use one color for basic demographic information and other research elements, one for quotations, another for words I need to define, yet another for further reading suggestions, still another for links from one article to another, and another color for ideas that have direct application in my clinical environment. I also have extra colors for thoughts and things that don't fit within my defined system.

I always start with a condensed APA reference on the top of the post-it. This allows me to keep track of ideas and information. The condensed reference contains the journal title, edition number, and pages. I then transfer the full APA citation to the top of my tracking sheet (I have a tracking sheet where I can further organize my thoughts - I strive to keep things on only one sheet).

I start to read. I keep my stack of post-its (and a handy dandy legend for what color is for what type of idea) at hand. As I come across something that is Post-it worthy, I write it on that note. I place the note on the tracking sheet. It's a free-flow of ideas, and I give myself the freedom to move around my brain and thought process without restriction. I read from top to bottom without stopping.

Once I'm finished reading. I take a break.

I find that breaks are important when I am trying to synthesize the ideas of others. I purposefully take some time away from the ideas that I absorbed so I can continue to think about them. I always keep another color for further conclusions. 

After my break, I use my post-its and arrange the information on my tracking sheet. (I am going to spend a bit of time this week getting my tracking sheet into final form and electronic.) Then I have one sheet that can be used for prompting my memory and used as a fact sheet for others. Those sheets can also be arranged to make a coherent foundation for music therapy technique use.

I am still wandering down this path. Who else is there with me??

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:24 AM

    I only read the abstract, then if I'm still interested, I read the discussion. Then I read more if I'm still curious. I take notes in the margins and use a post it as a book mark. --Janice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA