Giving Myself the Gift of Being Late

I am going to be late today (well, not really late, as I will be arriving to work at the time I am supposed to arrive at work, but it will be later than I usually arrive at work). I am going to refrain from leaving my home at 6am to arrive at work at about 6:50am. I am going to leave my house at 6:30 - not a minute earlier. I have to get gas this morning, so I probably won't be leaving my town until after 6:30am. Oooh, the thrill!

I am not a late person. I am a very early person. I made my entrance into this world three weeks after I was expected (much to my mother's dismay!), and my family accuses me of trying to catch up from that very first, very late appointment. Unfortunately, my family members are also early people, so we are often the very first people to arrive for any type of event.

This gift of being late is something that simultaneously is a good thing and something that may make me stressed out. When I can plan it, being later than usual is something that feels like self-care. When I can't plan it, I get stressed out about being late and that increases my tension. Today, it is going to be a gift of self-care.

It is amazing how self-care can be something as simple as leaving 30 minutes later than you usually do. Self-care does not need to be elaborate like a cruise. Self-care is as simple as finding something that makes you happy and that you can enjoy. This kind of goes back to the post from yesterday - happiness doesn't come when it is manufactured. Happiness happens, but you have to notice.

I am going to spend my extra 30 minutes at home watching a television show that I enjoy (Parks and Recreation), eating something I enjoy (cheesy mashed potatoes), and taking some time to revel in this day. It is truly a gift.

Then, I will put on my new, heavy coat, my hat, and my gloves and venture out into the winter morning to go to work, all the better for my extra 30 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA