TME Tuesday - Heading Into Song Switch Sunday

So, the brilliant idea I had on Sunday was to revamp Sunday's post to illustrate and exemplify the way changes in the elements of music can alter the therapeutic function of a particular musical experience. The rationale for this change in Sunday's way of thinking was primarily based in the following thought:

"I am getting bored with song charts."

So, now I am presenting the idea that I will still present a Therapeutic Music Experience (TME) on Tuesdays that will be the format for my blog posts on Sundays.

It sounded great Sunday morning before work, but now that it's Tuesday, the idea doesn't sparkle as much as it did.

That's okay. I will not give up on my idea. I will persevere.

So, in the interest of trying this idea out without completely reinventing the wheel, I'm going to use a TME that I've posted before.


Waiting is Hard to Do

Purpose: To remind clients about waiting; to address impulse control; to increase social awareness; to increase social interaction; to cue appropriate behavior

Source: Original song. © July 10, 2009 by Mary Jane Landaker, MME, MT-BC

Materials: None

Song:
CHORUS
Waiting is hard to do, waiting is hard to do, waiting is hard to do, but sometimes, I have to.

VERSE
I might have to wait in line when I want to eat. To wait for food is really hard, it rarely is a treat. Other kids will be there too, making lots of noise. It’s my job to wait in line with a quiet voice.

CHORUS

I have to wait in line to go back to my class. To wait in line is really hard, I’m not allowed to pass. My classmates take a long time to stand there quietly. It’s my job to take care of me and wait for them to join me.

CHORUS
            Therapeutic Function of Music: The music offers a prompt for expected behavior. The lyrics can be altered to address specific situations that students may encounter during their day. The use of the music also serves as a distraction from the actual act of waiting.
Melody
Pitch
Rhythm
Dynamics
Harmony
Repetitive
Variable based on client needs and preferences
Syncopated
Variable based on client needs and preferences
Major Tonality
Form
Tempo
Timbre
Style
Lyrics
AB
Variable based on client needs and preferences
Vocal
Undetermined
Variable based on client needs
            Chart adapted from Hanson-Abromeit, D. (2010). A Closer Look at the Therapeutic Function of Music. Presentation at 2010 American Music Therapy Association National Conference: Cleveland, OH.
Procedure:
  1. Sing song as reminder for clients who have difficulty waiting in line
  2. Write additional verses for different situations

Adaptations/Extensions:
  • Make book or powerpoint for use before transitions. Client can access information to remind him or herself of expectations for transition and behavior


You can see the sheet music here. If you are interested in the song.

So, on Sunday, I'm going to take the song and put it through it's paces. (I hope - I'm still learning how to post videos and audio files on my blog...) It's my current intention to demonstrate how a change in one of the elements listed as variable above can change the therapeutic intent of the TME. We'll see what happens on Sunday!

See you there!!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA