Playing with Scissors

So, yesterday I spent some time playing around with ideas and with my multitude of crafting materials and stuff (remember that I'm a pack-rat and LOVE stuff!). I started with two folders from my "Projects to Be Done" file and just started creating things. My two folders were "Three-Part Scheduler" and "An Austrian Went Yodeling." The schedule folder had started with pockets on the folder itself, but I had to create the rest of the idea...So, I did!
One of the things that I enjoy about working with children and adolescents is that music therapy offers opportunities for choice that other opportunities do not. I can walk into a session with one or more of my kids, and, because I tend to work in a client-directed manner rather than a therapist-directed manner, I offer those kids chances to choose what we're going to do.
Many times, my students have diagnoses on the Autism Spectrum. Some of them have become accustomed to using a schedule to organize themselves in the classroom environment. Way before teachers were using schedules in the classrooms in my facility, I was using schedulers like this one to organize my sessions. A visual schedule such as this one offers a format for both myself and for my client. I have found this to be a valuable tool with my students - especially the ones that tend to flit from idea to idea. The schedule promotes the expectation that they will complete one thing before moving onto the next.
In case you can't see the picture clearly, each "choice" has the word and a line drawing. This allows me to use the scheduler with readers and non-readers. I have 12 cards to choose from, and the ideas are vague enough that I can promote client executive function and decision making throughout the session. When the choice is complete, we can either turn the card over or remove it from the board completely.
One of the other things that I always do when using a scheduler is to include a "Mystery" card. One of the downfalls of using schedules is that students occasionally get overdependent on the schedule. This is often manifested as tantrums when something happens that is not on the schedule. I try to incorporate an element of uncertainty into music therapy sessions by introducing a bit of the unknown. This makes music therapy a place where we may be using a scheduler, but there are things that happen that are not indicated on the schedule. Freedom within structure.
The second project that I completed yesterday was a folder for the song, Once An Austrian Went Yodeling. I learned this song from my ever-singing mother and used it lots during my camp song-leader days  It is a wonderful song for plain old fun as well as for expressive language, receptive language, motor planning, sequencing, and other therapeutic goals. It is one of those songs that I do not often remember during those moments when I am trying to wrack my brains for something to do with my clients for the last five minutes of my session. Finishing this folder will help me remember the song and will allow me to use it with my clients when indicated!
So, the inside of the folder has a mountain - this picture comes from the song - once an austrian went yodeling on a mountain so high..." He then moves on to "meet" several other people and animals as well as an avalanche. Now, when we sang this song in Girl Scout Camp, we used to put in all kids of Girl Scout related things, but I stuck with animals (and the avalanche) to make the ideas more concrete to my students. There are 12 pictures of hand-drawn animals laminated on yellow circles (yellow because I like it!) that are designed to be moved around the folder so clients can choose the sequence of the song. The back of the folder has a copy of the song so the clients can see the pictures and the therapist can see the words (if the therapist doesn't know it or forgets it for some strange reason...). All I need to do to finish up this folder is to cut out the pictures and velcro them to the folder!
You know, I really enjoy making things for my clients to use. I enjoy drawing and trying things out. I love playing with scissors!
Off to do some more! I think I may work on Monkeys on the Bed today.
Hmmmm...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA