Music Therapy Advocacy - Introvert Style!

Have you noticed? January is music therapy advocacy month! From now until January 31st, you will be seeing the phrase, "Music Therapy Advocacy," on blogs, in emails, on articles, and in print. It is a time for us music therapists to toot our own horns (Sorry, this cornet player couldn't resist!).

How are you an advocate for music therapy?

I am not often comfortable putting myself out into social settings or situations amongst strangers for the sole purpose of being an advocate for my profession. I am not the first person to volunteer to go talk to my congressperson or to make cold calls to strangers. I do not feel that I am suited to going to the local shopping center for a Boomwhacker flash mob. These are just things that make me feel uncomfortable and just plain old crabby!

I am a quiet advocate for music therapy.

I am a music therapist who goes to work and tries to be the best therapist in every interaction with clients. I try to present an exemplary example of a music therapy professional in my dealings with co-workers, administrators, and strangers. I strive to continue my knowledge of the effect of music on human development. I try to be the best example of a music therapist that I can be at all times.

I advocate for music therapy through my work with students, through being an internship director, through serving on AMTA committees and boards, through being a member of AMTA year after year, through maintaining my board certification, and through talking to people about music therapy when I have a chance.

How are you an advocate?

 

Comments

  1. And don't forget- you also blog! Thanks for your quieter form of advocacy. I'm not really much into screaming either, but I do feel quite a passion about our field, so I blather on and on and on about it to anyone who'll- er- listen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA