The Therapeutic Function of Music
So, why music anyway?

I ponder that thought often during my day. As the daughter of an Occupational Therapist, I often have ideas for interventions that do not need the structure of music to be therapeutic. I am challenged to see if the behavior of my clients changes when music is in the atmosphere or if they would complete therapeutic goals and tasks in the same manner without music. Sometimes, it is difficult to know.

But, I am a music therapist rather than an OT (a fact that my mother laments). Therefore, all of my interventions should be musical in nature if not in substance.

I am getting ready to revamp my internship to increase intern awareness of the therapeutic function of music in sessions. So, I am challenging myself to start thinking this way as well.

So far, I have come up with several questions that spur my thinking on towards therapeutic rationales for music in therapy. They are as follows:
  1. Why would you need music to complete this goal/objective? (Do you need music?)
  2. Does a change in the music offered during the intervention lead to changes in client responses? If so, what elements lead to that change?
  3. Are there specific elements of music that need to be consistent or replicated each time the intervention is presented?
  4. Are there elements of music that can be adapted?
  5. What is the most important element of music in the intervention?
Random thoughts for a random time. Changes are in the air...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA