Desperately Seeking Something

It has happened.

I have reached the middle of my break, and I am slipping into my mid-break slump. I woke up today with a headache and a general feeling of "ugh." Nothing seems all that appealing to me right now. Turn on the television? Nah. Get something to eat? Nah. Make a book out of paper? Nah. Write a blog post? Well, I've tried that now three times. Is anything going to stick long enough to be published?? We shall see. I am not motivated to do much of anything.

My remedy for when this type of feeling takes over is to fill my environment with things that I love. This morning, I did something that I don't usually do - I reached for my iPod. My iPod is the only iThing that I allow in my home. We have come to an agreement - I will backup and update the thing as long as it keeps my commutes full of tv shows, movies, and podcasts. I have some music on it as well, but I don't usually reach for music to fill my silences. Many times it is just too much for me, so music is not why I have an iPod. Today, however, was a different story.

I wanted music in my life today.

I have a playlist titled "My Favorites." There are many different songs on this playlist, and I skip songs with abandon to match my mood and my needs for the moment. I love setting things on shuffle and seeing what shows up. Today's choice is Sing Your Praise to the Lord by Amy Grant. There are many extramusical associations for me with that song, so it helps with the slump. The next song is Flying for Me by John Denver - a song about the crew of the Space Shuttle Challenger - this also has some strong extramusical associations as well. It seems especially fitting as we are sending astronauts to space in American vehicles again.

So, there is music cranking out of my meager iPod speakers (I really need a better sound system) while I am sitting here writing. The music has helped me find a focus, and I think I've found what I'm looking for, but I'm done. I've reached my music tolerance level for the moment. Once this song is over, I am going to find something else to do and to experience.

Thank you for being here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA