Systems in Music Therapy: A System Doesn't Have to Be Big

I admit that I've been trying to come up with another system that I can write about for this post most of the week. I have hit my biggies - the color-coding, my use of sets of materials, the always bag, so I am left looking around me, wondering what I will write about now. I finally came up with two systems, both of which are things I do without really thinking too much about it all, but that are also very important to me.

Here they are...

30/30 and post-it notes!

Not really all that intriguing, is it??

Let me explain further...

I hate household chores, and my home environment reflects that hatred. In order to do chores, I have to arrange some sort of practice to break up the work into things that I will actually do. So, my 30/30 rule is what helps me out with this entire process. I spend 30 minutes working on a household chore (this afternoon, it will be cleaning the kitchen), and then I spend 30 minutes engaged in a creative or thinking task. My major focus for today is the tasks that are on my 30-day goal list that I spoke about yesterday. So, I will get home after my part-time job and start the timer. I have dishes to wash, counters to organize, and groceries to put away, so that will be my first focus. I also have two CBMT applications to finish and some presentation outlines to write. That's where my second system for the day comes into play.

I know that I often talk about post-it notes, but they really form the backbone of many of my systems. It may not be much of a secret that I am a stationery fiend and subscribe to a couple of stationery boxes that arrive on a regular basis. My favorite one, Paper Kitty, always includes lots of post-it flags. I have stacks of the things, and I've been a bit reluctant to use them because they are too cute, but they are starting to take over my life, so it is time to use them.
 
I am working on coordinating my CMTE course offerings, and there is a set pattern for how I complete this task. I have an outline that I put together yesterday because I realized that if I want to do this more often, then I need to streamline the process to make it more efficient - work smarter, not harder, MJ! I happened to have a stack of panda bear flags and another of dog flags, and two courses to work on, so I have put together my outline and the flags to help me remain organized.

Right now, I have two sets of tasks on my course page in my notebook (bullet journal - another system!!). You can see the different types of flags on this page of notes. The two that are on the top portion of the page are the next steps that I have to accomplish before I can move on. The ones scattered all over the page are the other things that have to be done before everything is ready to go! My system includes moving the pieces off the page when they are finished and then moving the next steps up to the top of the notebook. When it is time for the next round of courses, I'll use another stack of flags to help me differentiate between everything that I've got going on. (Just so you know, the Pandas are upside down because that's where the adhesive is on the flag - it bothers me a bit, but that's what I was given, so that's what I'm doing...)

Now, all I need is a system to organize my post-it flags, and I'm set! I think I'll repurpose one of my small pizza boxes for this type of organization. That will give me another creative task to work on during the week while I am getting all the rest of this ready to go!

I'm thinking that this series may be ending pretty soon - especially because I am writing about post-it flags! We will see...

Happy Sunday, music therapists!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA