Work Issues - Why?

I am involved in a situation at work that is getting more and more contentious. The last time this happened, I ended up filing a grievance against the (other) person who did the exact same thing to me. The grievance went through, and eventually, the person was fired. I am still there. I am thinking that this situation will also lead to difficulties, and I am so tired of having to defend myself against bullies who have the attitude of "Well, I'm here for the students," with the implication being that I (MJ) am not interested in being available for my students. Yep. I've been working at a small, rural school with absolutely no room for advancement or even recognition for the past 23 years for the GREAT paycheck (tongue firmly in cheek and this is definitely a statement FULL of sarcasm). 

I woke up at 1am this morning (due to the cat) and then stressed about the incident that occurred yesterday for about two hours before finally falling back to sleep.

The thing that gets me the most about these types of confrontations is that they always happen in front of students and co-workers, and I don't do well in this type of setting. I tend to go into freeze mode and not respond well. The other person is often being very angry and is in a crisis cycle and they do not respond in a way that makes sense to me. Then, because I feel embarrassed and bewildered and cornered, I go into my own crisis cycle. It's not a place I like to be...EVER!

I am also watching the inclement weather postings very carefully as we are scheduled to get some snow today. It is past the time that the buses go out in my school district, so I think I am safe and able to take my time off. Oh, did I mention that I am working abbreviated days on Fridays from now until the end of the school year, AND I still have more time to take off? What a lovely conundrum!! More time to take off.

For the next two hours (and it is 6:19 am at the moment), I get to spend some time at my home doing things that I don't usually get to do. I am going to work on some projects and get things ready for a marketing expert who is going to work with me on some projects. I will also take a leisurely shower, eat some breakfast, and maybe go shopping as well. An extra two hours at home is a nice perk. I also arranged to leave early, but I don't know that is going to happen. We will see.

Oh no. The superintendent just closed the school district, so I have to go to work. Just like that, all my plans are dashed, I have to go back to the douchey co-worker, and I have to come up with 10 sessions.

This is going to be a bad day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA