Thoughtful Thursday: Presentation Ideas

The deadline for the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) National Conference call for presentations is this Sunday, April 9, 2018, and I haven't submitted anything yet. This is usual. I usually have submitted way before the deadline, but not this year. This year has been interrupted by lots of other events, so I haven't really been thinking about what I want to propose.

I always propose something, and many times, I propose more than one something for these conferences. It always interests me what is accepted and what is not accepted. I will send off several ideas this weekend and then see if anything is accepted by the folks at AMTA. 

In the back of the notes that I keep every conference, I have a page where I put down presentation ideas. I write them down as I attend other presentations, and I develop the ideas later on. I may trot out some of my ideas from prior years, but I also know that I'll be spending my commute time thinking about what I want to say to others.

My current list of ideas is short - only one idea for development.

I like to talk about what we do in sessions with our clients. I like to talk about therapeutic music experience development, the clinical tasks that we do as therapists, and how to make our lives easier as therapists. I also love watching others be creative in front of me. I think I'll propose some sort of make and take session - maybe for CMTEs? I'll also go back to the most popular presentation I ever gave - one about TMEs for adolescents.

I try to propose sessions that have direct clinical applications because that is what I want from conference attendance - SOMETHING that I can take back with me and implement on my next clinical day. Apparently others want that as well because my presentations are often well-attended. So, I'll rack my brain for ideas about things to share with other music therapists.

Time to wake up the brain and start storming. See you in Dallas??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA