Time to Re-learn about Music Therapy

Today is the day that I officially start my WRAMTA conference experience. I did not go to the conference venue yesterday because there was really no reason to do so. I didn't want to be out until 9pm for an opening ceremony, so I remained at home with my parents. I think I crashed into a deep sleep about 7:30 their time, but it may have been earlier. I am now sitting in the guest bedroom, getting my presentations finished and posted on my website, and preparing the rest of my day.

I have been through the conference program and have mapped out my day. I'm going to be in rooms 200C and 100A, 200B and maybe 100A (depending on my mood, back pain, and ability to stay awake by then!). I am going to be hearing about preschool treatment repertoire, advocacy, and lots of other stuff as well. In addition, there is a bit of lunch on the docket. (I think I ordered the chicken penne today - tomorrow is the mushroom risotto.) Tomorrow's schedule is mostly my presentations - I am going to attend one presentation tomorrow before being the presenter for two other presentations. Lots to prepare, but I know I can do it!

Today is a day to catch up with some folks, meet others, and think, think, think! I have my handy dandy little idea book to take with me, and I hope to print out my event tickets so I don't have to lug the laptop around with me as I go to the various presentations. I often find that I get my best ideas for future presentations when I am sitting in the presentations of others, so I am looking forward to some ideas about a bit of everything.

There is nothing quite like a music therapy conference for making me think about music therapy on a more global level. It is so easy to get isolated in what is happening in my little part of the world, and it is very easy to forget that there are other music therapists out there experiencing many different things. Conferences are a good reminder that we are all doing these things in the same world. I think that might be why I insist on going to at least one music therapy conference every year - the need for connection.

I am enjoying this region-hopping thing. I may do this again next year. I wonder where all of the conferences are going to be held - that can help inform my decision about where I will go... Hmmm.

It is time to open up my mind about what music therapy is to me and what it is to others. 

Only 3 hours to go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA