Now For the Rest of My Life

The first weekend in February is always a busy one, but now it is over, so the rest of the winter can start. I am starting to think about my February to-do list, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My problem? I have too many thoughts and not enough time or money to see them through.

So, I prioritize.

My not-to-do list is growing pretty significantly. Here's #1 - I'm not going to push myself too hard. Things will get done before they need to get done, but self-care in the form of sleeping, cleaning, and eating right is more important than any task. #2 - I'm not going to work myself into exhaustion. There will be more not-to-do's, I am sure of it! There always are!!

At the moment, I am enjoying some quiet time with the cat. We are sitting on the couch - she is on my feet, purring loudly - I am under my childhood comforter - the pink and white gingham one that matched my sister's comforter. This comforter is about 40 years old and is pretty fragile, but very soft and comforting. I'm writing my blog and watching television before heading out into the cold world. It is currently 2 degrees Fahrenheit here. This type of time is just as important as all other tasks - maybe it is more important.

I have friends and colleagues who do the fancy type of self-care - the spa days, the costly shopping trips, the long weekends. I can't do those. They are not my type of self-care. I tend towards the isolation, time alone type of self-care - the hibernation strategy.

Once my part of this last weekend was finished, I went to sleep. I slept until I woke up, and then I slept some more. I went to my part-time job and was able to stay up until my regular bedtime last night! This morning I woke up at my usual time and now I am getting ready to go to work to see what I can do with my students this week. It's center week, but I have nothing completed or even planned at this point. No body knows that it is center week except for me, so if it doesn't happen, that is fine.

Time to focus on the rest of the things happening around me. My closest friend is struggling a bit right now. I was able to listen to her last week. I will be able to listen to her again this week. I have two presentations to complete for the end of this month. I have all of my jobs to do. For the moment, I am going to take a shower and get ready to go to my primary job. Tonight, I am going to go to sleep when my body tells me to, after eating something from the freezer, and after a little bit of work on my upcoming projects. The cat and I will sleep and share some quiet time. 

After all that, I will wake up and do it all over again.

Happy self-care! Take some time to take care of yourself today and tomorrow as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA