TME Tuesday: Boom-Chick-a-Boom!

One of my favorite things to do is to take a song that I've loved forever and ever and see what types of therapeutic purposes I can find in that song. This is an example of what I mean.

I am a Girl Scout (I am also a Boy Scout, but that has little to no relevance to this post, so I'm not going to talk any more about that...), and I went to camp almost every summer between 4th and 12th grades. I was a camper, a camp aide, a counselor-in-training, and a counselor. I even ran a camp or two before I graduated from high school. If it was camp, I did it! I was at sports (ha-ha) camp, fine arts camp, horse camp, overnight camp, day camp, and every type of camp that my council offered. If I could find a job where I could be at camp all the time, I would quit my full-time music therapy pursuits, and I would GO TO CAMP forever!

After all that, the reason I am waxing rhapsodical about camp is that I have selected a song I learned at camp for today's TME Tuesday.

Therapeutic Music Experience
Boom-Chick-a-Boom
Mary Jane Landaker, MME, MT-BC



Purpose: To address impulse control through verbal sequencing skill development; to maintain a steady beat (entrainment); to increase coordination of verbal and gross motor skills' social interaction; dramatic skill development; receptive and expressive language skill development; vocal exploration; active listening

Source: Learned at Girl Scout Camp, Southern California, during the 1980’s. Procedure and therapeutic elements of music © 2012 by Mary Jane Landaker, MME, MT-BC

Materials: None

Environment: Group members within earshot of group leader

Song/Chant/Words:
Start with a steady beat maintained on the lap or with instruments
             X                   X
I said a boom chicka boom (echo)
             X                   X
I said a boom chicka boom (echo)
             X                   X                   X                  X
I said a boom chicka rahka chicka rahka chicka boom (echo)
       X
Un-hunh (echo)
       X
Oh yeah (echo)
                  X
One more time (echo)

(Demonstrate the next suggestion through using voice) LOUDER!

SUGGESTION: louder, quieter, football player style, robot, baby, motorboat, race car driver, underwater, old lady, opera, animal sounds, others as demonstrated by group members

Procedure: R = Reinforcement opportunities; C = Redirection/Cue opportunities; A = Assessment
  1. C= Establish a steady beat using either instruments or laps.
  2. R= reinforce efforts of all group members at maintaining the steady beat
  3. C= Once beat is established, explain the echo response desired – “I sing, you sing”
  4. C= Start song
  5. R= Reinforce all appropriate responses through eye contact, chanted specific reinforcements, and/or offering opportunities to choose the next verse format
  6. C = Repeat steps 1-5 using different suggestions for voices
  7. C= Run through all of the suggestions until clients appear to be finished with the exercise
Therapeutic Function of Music: The chant provides structure to assist in organizing responses within a predictable format. The lyrics are engaging, often leading to increased participation due to the repetitive nature of the words. The repetitive words allow for changes in presentation to become highlighted, increasing novelty and allowing for increased duration of attention and participation.




Melody
Pitch
Rhythm
Dynamics
Harmony
Implied in the chant
Change vocal pitch to attain attention of group members
Steady macrobeat and microbeat formats to encourage entrainment and group participation
Variable to maintain attention of group members
None

Form
Tempo
Timbre
Style
Lyrics
Echo – Call and response
Variable to encourage entrainment and group participation
Vocal and body percussion
Call and Response
Repetitive to encourage group member participation
Chart adapted from Hanson-Abromeit, D. (2010). A Closer Look at the Therapeutic Function of Music. Presentation at 2010 American Music Therapy Association National Conference: Cleveland, OH.

What adapations or extensions can you come up with?


(I'm asking because I can't get mine to actually copy the way I want them to - I've got plenty, believe me!!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA