Thoughtful Thursday: Explaining The Energy Bus to a Client

On my cabinet that is behind my head when I run music therapy sessions, I have a bus ticket. It's our motivational thing this year - The Energy Bus. The bus ticket is what my administrators are currently giving out to teachers who are "caught being positive." I received one last week and have received none this week because my administrators NEVER actually come to my room. Anyway, last week, we were encouraged to turn in our bus ticket for a drink from Sonic. Now, I have this strange reaction to the water in the town where I work, so I decided that I would rather keep the ticket than get an intestinal infection. I posted my Bus ticket on my cabinet.

It has been fun to see who pays attention to my cabinet decorations and who does not.

Yesterday, one of my clients asked me, "Have you read The Energy Bus?" I responded that I had read it. The client asked, "What's it about?"

Hmmm. How do you explain a corporate motivational book to a person who does not grasp many abstract concepts?

I ended up saying, "It's about making a decision about how you will go into the world. If you make the effort to find the positive things in life, you'll feel a bit happier than if you decide to focus on the negative things."

As I was saying that, I realized that it is true. I started the day of the session for that particular client with an outlook that was less than positive. I also made an effort to use the things I've learned about mindfulness and how it manifests for me to center myself and change my outlook.

I usually take a couple of minutes before my session series starts to sit, tune the guitar, play a couple of chord progressions, and center myself. As I was sitting there, waiting for the group members to arrive (they are ALWAYS late), I said to myself, "This session will be what it is meant to be. I will do what is needed - that's all that I can do." I practiced my breathing. I took some moments.

The group members arrived, and the session went pretty well. The students who are struggling in other places struggled in music therapy as well. Others committed to what was going on in the room and engaged fully. We had the opportunity to build on our foundation for therapy - our relationship. 

I find it funny that I focused on that particular point of The Energy Bus for explaining what is going on. The book also talks about getting rid of toxic people from our work lives (and other parts of our lives as well). It is also about finding those that will support your vision for the world and leaving others behind.

Before this school year started, I made a pledge to myself to focus on happiness. I can tend to get bogged down in negative thoughts which seem to transfer into negative bodily situations - viruses, infections, injuries due to being careless or distracted. Every morning, I write my blog, get ready to post it on social media, and I take a moment to write a personal post about happiness. Sometimes I can find happiness without thinking. Other times, however, I struggle to find something. I always find something in the end.

My daily happiness post has encouraged me to think a bit more about positive events, situations, and thoughts.

Today I will venture out into the wintery cold (18 degrees Fahrenheit - the first REALLY cold day this season) to run the last five therapy groups of the week. It will not be as difficult to center myself into a positive outlook with these groups; they are very responsive to music therapy. I will practice what I stated to that client yesterday - I will choose to view the world in a positive manner.

Happy Thursday, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA